Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Orange Cinnamon Muffins


This recipe came from my local newspaper last week......when I saw it, I knew I just had to try it.  The sound of it reminded me of the tea my sister used to buy (maybe she still does, I dunno.....we haven't lived together for 9.5 years now), Orange Spice Tea.  I'm not much of a hot tea drinker, but I sure did like the smell of that one.

So here we are.

I did modify the recipe a little, because that's just what I do.  I used all white whole wheat flour, regular orange juice (not fresh squeezed) decreased the sugar by 1/4 c., and because I didn't soften my butter well enough before attempting to mix in the other wet ingredients, I ended up having to microwave the wet mixture to get it nice and melted.....I didn't think chunks of butter were gonna make a nice textured muffin.
And even with all that, they turned out delicious.

Nothing fancy, a little boring to look at, but very tasty.  My oldest 2 kids gobbled down two each before I realized what was happening and would have eaten more.  "These are an A+, Mom!" was their exclamations.

Can't get much better than an A+.  I'll take it.

Recipe: (includes my modifications)

2 c. flour (I used white whole wheat, but all purpose would be fine)
1/2 c. sugar
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
1 heaping t. cinnamon
1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, softened
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 c. plain yogurt
1/2 c. orange juice or tangerine juice
Grated rind of 1 large orange (or 2 tangerines)
1 c. chopped golden raisins or currants
Cinnamon sugar (optional)

Preheat oven to 350°.
Whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
Beat butter in a large mixer bowl until fluffy.  Beat in eggs, yogurt, and juice until smooth.  Beat in grated rind and flour mixture just until flour is moistened.  Gently fold in raisins.
Spoon evenly into 16-18 greased or paper lined muffin pans. Sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar if desired.  Bake until toothpick comes out clean, about 15-18 minutes.
Serve warm.

3 comments:

  1. Those look wonderful! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are not the best muffins i have ever tasted. Far to bland for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry they weren't to your liking. Maybe adding more orange zest would make them better?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...