Monday, September 6, 2010

Lady and the Tramp Cake


Annika loves dogs and the color green - so I came up with the idea for this cake.  I found the picture online and Grant enlarged it for me to approximately 11 x 15", the size of my pan. 

I cut out the picture, frosted my yellow cake with white buttercream, traced around the outline of the picture on the cake with a toothpick, then filled in the details freehand.
I used storebought Wilton black piping frosting with my smallest tip for the outlines and used my buttercream for the rest.
For Lady, I tinted about a cup of frosting very light brown with cocoa powder.  I filled in the area between her eyes and muzzle with that.  I didn't use it all, so I just added more cocoa powder to make the area surrounding her eyes and paws a bit darker.  Then I added even more cocoa powder and a touch of red food coloring for her ears.
All of those I piped with the smallest star tip.
Then I used a larger star tip for the stripes on the box and bow, using a toothpick to help out in the tight spots.  I used the #17 tip for piping shells on the bottom and rosettes on the top edge. 
 Pretty easy - just a little time consuming - I'm glad I didn't pick a photo with Tramp also!


This is one happy girl!


This recipe is linked to the Ultimate Recipe Swap: Birthday Cakes.


6 comments:

  1. Great looking cake!

    Just a little tip - pictures from the kids' coloring books are great to use like this for cake templates. Pick ones with few details, especially little tiny details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sue! The picture I used was a coloring page, free to print online. It really does work well...and you're right, picking one with few tiny details is vital!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have a link to where you found the picture? I want to do this kind of cake for my daughters birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the link to the picture I used - http://www.coloring-book.info/coloring/coloring.php?id=795
      I did change the face a little to make her a bit "happier" but other than that, I copied it very closely.
      Good luck with your cake!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...