Saturday, September 25, 2010

Muffins that Taste Like Doughnuts


I read about these muffins on the Pioneer Woman's site....and I knew I had to try them.  I really love cake doughnuts and never buy them because of the bad ingredients.  I had high hopes for these......and while they don't taste "exactly" like doughnuts, they are truly delicious.  The kids loved them also....and I'm planning on rolling them in powdered sugar next time for a little variety.  

Recipe: (from Tasty Kitchen)

1-3/4 c. flour
1-1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/3 c. oil
3/4 c. sugar
1 egg
3/4 c.milk

Topping:
1/4 c. butter, melted
1/3 c. sugar
1 T. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350° and grease a 12-muffin tin. 
Combine flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
In a separate bowl, combine oil, sugar, egg, and milk.  Add dry ingredients and stir only to combine.
Divide into muffin tins.
Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.

Meanwhile, prepare topping by melting butter in one bowl and combining sugar and cinnamon in another bowl.
Remove muffins while still hot. Roll each in butter (cover completely) and then in the cinnamon sugar.  Let cool.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the recipe! They look very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you like them! I'm looking forward to making them again, myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the recipe! I made these this morning for breakfast but I replaced the sugar with 1/4 c. honey & 1/4 c. xylitol then added an extra 1/4 c. flour (I used all whole wheat) they were delicious!
    We thought rolling them in the sugar mix made them too sweet (plus, all my melted butter was GONE after rolling just 5 muffins(?!) so we just opted to butter them at the table while warm & srinkle just a bit if the cin & sug mix on them.
    We will definitely be making these again :-)

    Have a wonderful weekend

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never used xylitol before....does it change the texture of baked goods a lot?
    I did almost run out of the butter....but not after 5 muffins! You must have coated them quite thoroughly!! :)
    I'm sorry to say that I have yet to find something that's too sweet for my taste....I would definitely benefit from decreasing sugar in some things. Ahhh..sugar....my biggest weakness.
    glad you liked them anyways!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...