Monday, January 23, 2012

Chocolate Layer Cake with Cheesecake Filling



A dear friend of mine had a birthday this month, and I wanted to make her a cake. 
Not just an ordinary cake, but something special.
A knock-your-socks off kind of cake. 
 With the knowledge that she loves chocolate, almonds, and cheesecake, this sounded like a winner. 
And it was.
I wanted to make the cake part from scratch but time was running short and a jazzed-up
mix was the best I could do.....but it was really delicious. 
Takes a few steps, but they're totally worth it.
I've never put frosting on a cheesecake before, but after tasting the combination here, I fell in love with the idea.
And I can see myself taking this concept and making other flavors as well. 

Recipe: (adapted from Food Network)

Chocolate Cake:
1 Devils food cake mix
1 cup water
1/3 cup oil
4 large eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp. almond extract

Cheesecake Layer:
2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tsp. almond extract

Chocolate Frosting
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted and cooled
6 cups powdered sugar
6 Tbsp. cream or milk
1 tsp. almond extract
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Sliced almonds, for garnish

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 (9-inch) round cake pans with wax paper circles and butter them well.


In large bowl, combine cake mix, water, oil and eggs. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Add sour cream and extracts and mix to combine. Divide batter evenly between the 2 prepared pans. Bake 20 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pans 10 minutes. Turn out onto wire racks and let cool completely.
After removing the cake from oven, reduce temperature to 300°F.

While cake is baking, prepare the cheesecake batter.

Line a 9-inch round baking pan with aluminum foil, letting edges of foil extend over sides of pan. Lightly grease the foil.

In large bowl, beat cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Add sugar, beating until smooth. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in sour cream and extract. Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake 45 minutes (at 300°) then turn the oven off and leave the cheesecake in oven with door closed for another hour. Let the cheesecake cool completely in its pan on a wire rack then cover and chill for 4 hours. Using edges of foil as handles, remove cheesecake from pan and peel away foil.

To make frosting:

In a large bowl, beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Add chocolate, beating until combined. Beat in almond extract, vanilla extract and powdered sugar, adding a Tablespoon of cream after every cup of sugar.  Beat until light and fluffy.


To assemble cake:
Spread a layer of frosting on top of one chocolate cake. Next, layer cheesecake and top with chocolate icing. Place second chocolate cake and ice with frosting on top and on the sides. Sprinkle almonds on sides or top.
Pipe on additional frosting for decoration if desired.



And if you haven't yet, please vote in the poll in my sidebar!  I'd love to get your response!

Linked to Trick or Treat Tuesdays

11 comments:

  1. You must love that friend of yours A LOT! But I know from a reliable source...she loves you more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an absolutely delicious cake!! That was so sweet of you to make it for your friend...I'm sure she enjoyed it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This cake looks heavenly, your friend is one lucky lady! I found your blog awhile ago via Finding Joy in My Kitchen's Countdown to 2012. I've had so much fun checking out your recipes, and of course I've printed off quite a pile of them to try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you're enjoying some of my recipes! Let me know how they turn out for you!

      Delete
  4. oh man...that looks delicious! i'm a complete cake baking failure! but this pic makes me want to give it another shot. say...do you have a magic formula for replacing box cakes w/ from scratch ingredients?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elisa! I'm sorry to say that I don't have a formula or recipe for homemade cake mixes, although I do know they're out there. I've just never given any a try. I'm sure it would be healthier and cheaper to make up my own mixes, I've just not done it. Our absolute favorite chocolate cake from scratch is from my Chocolate Raspberry Cupcake recipe and it's obviously quite a lot more involved (and expensive) than making a mix, but it does yield a 3-layer cake and is so wonderful.

      Delete
  5. Great thoughts you got there, believe I may possibly try just some of it throughout my daily life.





    Filling a Swimming Pool

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's genuinely very complex in this active life to listen news on TV, thus I just use world wide web for that reason, and get the most up-to-date news.


    my web page :: Advanced Ketone

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, Neat post. There is an issue with your website in web explorer, may check this?
    IE nonetheless is the market chief and a good part
    of folks will leave out your magnificent writing because of this problem.


    Here is my weblog ... Ketone Body Pro

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...