Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Fudgy Mint Squares


Chocolate and mint and cheesecake - hard to beat that!  This is very rich, no doubt about it.  Even I can be satisfied with a couple of small squares of this stuff....no huge pieces here!  Great for serving a crowd, fantastic for making ahead and freezing (and even eating straight from the freezer, they don't get too solid) and lovely for holidays or just anytime.  

This time, however, I made a major goof.  I was making them for a friend who just had a baby and was just a little embarrassed to discover just before delivering them that I forgot to put in the mint extract!  It wouldn't have made much difference, if I hadn't put the green food coloring in there making it look like it was mint. It tastes really good without the mint.  But there it was, nice and green.  And no mint flavor.  Sorry Jenny!  
I can always use my very valid excuse that I was distracted by a screaming baby....which was the truth, but still.  
Anyways, these are a favorite with my family, mint or no mint, apparently. 

Recipe: (from Taste of Home)

10 T. butter (no substitutes), divided
3 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate, chopped
3 eggs, divided
1-1/2 c. sugar
2 t. vanilla extract
1 c. all-purpose flour
1 (8 oz package) cream cheese, softened
1 T. cornstarch
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
1 t. peppermint extract
4 drops green food coloring (optional)
1 c. (6 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 c. whipping cream

Preheat oven to 350°. In a microwave safe bowl, melt 8 T. butter and unsweetened chocolate; cool slightly.  In a mixing bowl, beat 2 eggs, sugar and vanilla.  Add the chocolate mixture; mix until blended.  Gradually beat in the flour. Spread in a greased 13 x 9" baking pan.  Bake for 15-20 minutes or until top is set. 

In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and remaining butter.  Add cornstarch; beat until smooth. Gradually beat in milk and remaining egg.  Add extract and food coloring if desired.  Pour over crust. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until center is almost set.  Cool on a wire rack.

In a heavy saucepan (or in microwave-safe bowl), combine chocolate chips and cream.  Heat and stir until melted.  Cool for 30 minutes or until lukewarm, stirring occasionally.  Pour over cream cheese layer.  Chill for 2 hours or until set before cutting.   

5 comments:

  1. They are delicious without the mint! I couldn't stop at one and had to hold myself back from eating more than two. Thank you for dinner and especially for the dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tasty! My mom used to make something similar to this when I was a kid! She actually just brought them over to us this weekend as a special treat!

    They look beautiful, even without the mint :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look and sound awesome! And nice to know that if you don't have the extract (like me) they can still be made. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dd thought we should try raspberry extract w/pink food coloring as well! I can't wait to make these! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lauriinnc,
    what a great idea! My husband adores raspberry....I may have to try that sometime as well! I've never tried raspberry extract before....let me know how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...