Now that grilling and barbecue season is upon us, it's time for a great dessert for a picnic, potluck, or holiday party.
Oh, who am I kidding?
I'm always up for a great dessert, special event or not.
This is a perfect cookie/treat for a crowd, because they're so rich, you can cut them into small bars and serve plenty of folks. I found this gem of a recipe on my blog assignment for the Secret Recipe Club this month, It Bakes Me Happy. (isn't that the cutest blog name??)
Emily is an amazing baker and full-time mom who has a serious sweet tooth and loves chocolate. I know we'd be great friends. :) She has so many recipes I'm anxious to make, like Turtle Muffins, Pistachio Gelato (I totally almost made this, but after I bought the pistachios, I couldn't resist just eating them out of the bag. I hadn't had them in such a long time. And MAN, are they good. But next time I'm making the gelato), and Heavenly Hash Brownies. Plus many, many more great choices.
But I couldn't resist the Chocolate Peanut Butter Revel Bars.
So here's the breakdown: an incredible oatmeal peanut butter cookie dough crust, a rich, almost fudge-like chocolate center, and more cookie dough on top. Bake it to a light golden brown, and you're done. Simple, and ohhhhhhh, so delicious. It's a good thing I made them for a home-school mom's group, or I would have eaten even more of them. As it is, I ate way more than my share. Sigh. Another week of weight-loss failure.
So anyways, I love these bars and I love Emily's blog and I hope you'll go visit her and check out all her awesome treats.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Revel Bars
3/4 cup butter, room temperature
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
2 cups brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla, divided use
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
3 cups oats, old fashioned
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (12 oz) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and 1/4 cup peanut butter on medium speed for 30 seconds.
- Add the brown sugar and beat until well mixed.
- Beat in eggs one at a time and then 1 tsp. vanilla
- In a large bowl stir together the flour, baking soda, and oats.
- Gradually stir the dry mixture into the peanut butter mixture; set aside
- In a medium saucepan, combine the 1/2 cup peanut butter, sweetened condensed milk and chocolate chips.
- Cook over low heat until the chocolate melts, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in remaining 1 tsp. vanilla.
- Press two-thirds of the oat mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 13 x 9" pan.
- Spread the chocolate mixture on top of that.
- Using your fingers, crumble the remaining oat mixture over the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Slice and serve.
Source: It Bakes Me Happy, originally adapted from BHG 100 Best Cookies
P.S. These go GREAT with a big glass of milk.