Monday, May 12, 2014

Chocolate Peanut Butter Revel Bars - SRC


Now that grilling and barbecue season is upon us, it's time for a great dessert for a picnic, potluck, or holiday party.  
Oh, who am I kidding?  
I'm always up for a great dessert, special event or not.  

This is a perfect cookie/treat for a crowd, because they're so rich, you can cut them into small bars and serve plenty of folks. I found this gem of a recipe on my blog assignment for the Secret Recipe Club this month, It Bakes Me Happy. (isn't that the cutest blog name??) 

Emily is an amazing baker and full-time mom who has a serious sweet tooth and loves chocolate. I know we'd be great friends. :)  She has so many recipes I'm anxious to make, like Turtle Muffins Pistachio Gelato (I totally almost made this, but after I bought the pistachios, I couldn't resist just eating them out of the bag. I hadn't had them in such a long time. And MAN, are they good. But next time I'm making the gelato), and Heavenly Hash Brownies. Plus many, many more great choices. 

But I couldn't resist the Chocolate Peanut Butter Revel Bars. 

So here's the breakdown: an incredible oatmeal peanut butter cookie dough crust, a rich, almost fudge-like chocolate center, and more cookie dough on top.  Bake it to a light golden brown, and you're done. Simple, and ohhhhhhh, so delicious.  It's a good thing I made them for a home-school mom's group, or I would have eaten even more of them.  As it is, I ate way more than my share.  Sigh. Another week of weight-loss failure.
Ahem.

So anyways, I love these bars and I love Emily's blog and I hope you'll go visit her and check out all her awesome treats.  

Chocolate Peanut Butter Revel Bars

3/4 cup butter, room temperature
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
2 cups brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla, divided use
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
3 cups oats, old fashioned
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (12 oz) package semi-sweet chocolate chips

  1. Preheat oven to 350° F. 
  2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and 1/4 cup peanut butter on medium speed for 30 seconds. 
  3. Add the brown sugar and beat until well mixed.
  4. Beat in eggs one at a time and then 1 tsp. vanilla
  5. In a large bowl stir together the flour, baking soda, and oats.
  6. Gradually stir the dry mixture into the peanut butter mixture; set aside
  7. In a medium saucepan, combine the 1/2 cup peanut butter, sweetened condensed milk and chocolate chips.
  8. Cook over low heat until the chocolate melts, stirring occasionally.
  9. Remove from heat and stir in remaining 1 tsp. vanilla. 
  10. Press two-thirds of the oat mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 13 x 9" pan.
  11. Spread the chocolate mixture on top of that.
  12. Using your fingers, crumble the remaining oat mixture over the top.
  13. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is lightly browned. 
  14. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.  
  15. Slice and serve.
Source:  It Bakes Me Happy, originally adapted from BHG 100 Best Cookies


P.S. These go GREAT with a big glass of milk.  



16 comments:

  1. Oh Rebehah I'm so glad you liked them! They're one if my favorites too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, these look so good! They are definitely going on my baking list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look fantastic! Making these this week! Great SRC choice!

    xoxo from Trinidad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Send over some. They look scrumptious and I am sitting here with a cup of coffee and nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look so yummy, great SRC recipe. I am pinning these for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally pinning. These sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look amazing! Great choice for SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look so deliciously decadent. Thanks for sharing with the SRC.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always love a good chocolate and peanut butter treat! Sweetened condensed milk is amazing stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving that topping! I bet these would be great with a nice cold glass of milk. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, these look SO good...like all my fav desserts wrapped into 1. :) Visiting from group A :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Peanut Butter and chocolate are heavenly together! I am on board!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those sound absolutely heavenly. What a great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a perfect combination, I love peanut butter and chocolate together.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...