Thursday, September 23, 2010

"F" is for Fantastic Fudge


We're back to school this week after a two week break for my family visiting....so we're also back to our Letter of the Week Service Projects.  

When I first started thinking about the letter F, all I could think of was Fish.  Or Falafel.  Frog legs?  None of which were viable options for taking to friends.  Then someone suggested Fudge, and I never looked back. 

Growing up, I remember only having fudge at Christmas time.  My grandma would make it in early-mid December, along with peanut brittle, divinity, and buck-eyes, and we would spend the holiday season gorging on such delicacies every time we visited her house, which was often since she and Granddad only lived 20 minutes away.  

Anyways.  It did feel a little strange to be making fudge in September, of all times.  But a little diversion from the tradition isn't a bad thing, I've decided.  Maybe I should spread out the holiday indulgences so we can get fat all year round appreciate them more individually.  

I don't have my grandma's recipe for fudge, I'll have to get that from my mom sometime.  This one is a bit different, but delicious just the same.  It's the basic recipe from Kraft Marshmallow Creme, so I'm told.  I didn't actually buy the Kraft stuff.....and apparently the recipe on the jar has changed recently and has people all in an uproar about it.  (Does spelling Cream "Creme" make it fancier somehow?)

We took the Fantastic Fudge to the F_____s, a wonderful older couple from our church who were so delighted to be visited by our family and touched that we thought of them.  Marissa (4.5) took the time today to draw them pictures of Flowers and Flags (fortunately two of her favorite things to draw anyways), which also tickled them.  

I saved the rest and froze it.....to stop myself from nibbling on it every time I enter my kitchen and consuming at least 1.5 lbs of fudge singlehandedly.  My hips do not need that.  

Recipe:

3 cups sugar
1-1/2 sticks butter (3/4 c.)
5 oz evaporated milk
12 oz (2 cups) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 (7 oz) jar marshmallow cream
1 t. vanilla
Chopped nuts, optional

Begin by preparing your pan.  Line a 11 x 7" (or 13 x 9" for thinner fudge) pan with foil, overlapping the ends, and butter the bottom. Set aside.
In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar, butter, and milk.  Bring to a rolling boil, stirring often.  Boil for 5 minutes, continuing to stir.  Remove from heat.  Add chocolate chips and stir until melted.  Add marshmallow cream and vanilla and stir until smooth.  Add nuts if desired.
Pour into prepared pan and chill until cooled.  (I sprinkled nuts on top of one half while still warm and pressed in lightly)
Once set, use foil to remove fudge from pan.  Cut into squares.  Can be stored at room temperature for very soft fudge or in the fridge for firmer fudge.

6 comments:

  1. I fear you've just unleashed my chocolate monster...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have bookmarked this recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marisa and Maya, Thanks for stopping by....I hope you love the fudge as much as we do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a much simpler recipe than the usual ones - great when one gets a serious attack of chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Made these this weekend! I'm sure my coworkers will love them, they came out great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kayla, I'm so glad it turned out well for you! And it does freeze well...I've been nibbling on the leftovers of my batch (kept it a secret from the kids!) and it's still wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...