Monday, March 11, 2013

SRC: Eggless Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting


I am very thankful that none of my children have food allergies.  A couple of my older brother's children do and it can make things rather challenging.  This cake, for example, would be a no-no because of the peanut butter frosting.  However, the cake unfrosted would be a great option for my niece Eva, since she's allergic to dairy and eggs....and this cake has neither.  That's really hard to find in baked goods.

That's why I chose this recipe to make for the Secret Recipe Club this month.  The blog I was assigned is called This Mama Cooks, where Anne-Marie's mission is to help busy families get on the road to living a more healthy lifestyle by sharing good-for-you recipes and lifestyle tips.  She even covers health topics like vitamins and nutrition, dental health and braces, skin products, exercise, and weight loss.  

I found several recipes I want to try, like Chicken, Sweet Potato and Apple Skillet, Slow Cooker Machaca Beef , and Huevos Rancheros.... but I just couldn't resist trying an eggless cake.  I made one about 10 years ago and remember really liking it......but for some reason hadn't made it again.  So I figured it was about time I gave it a shot again.  

I really like this cake.  Now, I'm not gonna lie, it won't replace Hershey's Dark Chocolate Cake as my favorite go-to chocolate cake recipe,  but it is a delicious alternative and sure does accommodate people with allergies better.  And even if you don't have allergies, it's great to make if you're having that cake craving and don't have an egg in the house.  

I did change up the frosting recipe, by using my favorite peanut butter frosting from Ina Garten......one that I also used on my birthday cake last year.  But really you could use whatever frosting you like.  

Eggless Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting
(Cake from This Mama Cooks, frosting from Ina Garten)

3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
9 Tbs. cocoa, sifted (1/2 cup plus 1 Tbs)
2 cups cold water
2 Tbs. white vinegar
3/4 cup oil (I used expeller pressed coconut oil)
2 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350°.
Mix all ingredients in a large bowl using an electric mixer.  Combine well, but don't overbeat.
Pour into a greased 13 x 9 baking pan.
Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Cool completely before frosting.


Peanut Butter Frosting: 
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup creamy peanut butter
5 Tbs. unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 cup heavy cream
Grated chocolate for garnish, optional

Place the sugar, peanut butter, butter, vanilla, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.  Mix on medium-low speed until creamy, scraping down the bowl with a rubber spatula as you work.  Add the cream and beat on high speed until the mixture is light and smooth.



12 comments:

  1. I haven't made a flourless cake yet, but this one with the peanut butter frosting on top could change my mind. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebekah,
    Your Chocolate Cake looks so good, sure wish I had a slice right now. Thanks for sharing this great recipe.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a perfect cake! Great SRC choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I could eat a bowl full of the frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that looks so chocolatey and delicious. I know I would eat too much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eggless, dairy free, and it still looks so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great vegan cake recipe - would be perfect for my son with food allergies! And that peanut butter frosting is making me drool :) Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes to anything frosted with PB. This looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you found a recipe you could make since I rarely feature baked good these days. In fact I forgot I had this on my blog - an oldie but goodie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. No eggs, no dairy...and if I sub GF flour it would be perfect for my little girl who unfortunately does have allergies but would love this cake, saving the recipe to give it a try, looks chocolaty delicious.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my group 'A' SRC entry Loaded Potato Soup.

    Lisa~~

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am finally catching up from Monday after a busy week... :) Thanks for stopping by my blog! This recipe looks wonderful! We are gluten and dairy free at our house, so we get the allergy thing, and this cake looks like it has a great texture for being egg-free. Gotta love those wacky cakes! Thanks so much for sharing it. Great SRC choice!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...