Sunday, September 12, 2010

Chicken Smothered with Onions


I made this recently when Grant was out of town and after the first bite, I had a feeling it would make regular
appearances in our house.  The kids ate around the onions a little, but overall they loved it and when Grant got to have the leftovers for lunch, he thought it was great as well. 

And me? 

Well, let's just say I was reluctant to give up the leftovers to Grant.  I almost didn't, if you want to know the truth.  But my conscience got the best of me. He was very grateful. 

The original recipe called for leaving the chicken breasts whole, but I figured I have to cut up chicken for my kids anyways, so I might as well cut it up before cooking to speed things up and hopefully stretch the dish a little further.  It worked just fine, so you can really do it however it suits you.

I like that it's fast, doesn't heat up the oven, and only dirties up one pan.  Oh, and I also like that it tastes REALLY good.  And don't forget the mashed potatoes - or even baked if you want to be a little healthier.  The gravy is just made for potatoes. 

Recipe: (from Good Cheap Eats)

4 chicken breasts, cut into chunks
paprika
salt and pepper
1-1/2 T. butter
2 large onions, sliced
3 T. flour
2 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup whipping cream
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
dried or fresh parsley for garnish

Sprinkle chicken breasts generously with paprika, salt, and pepper. Melt butter in heavy skillet. Add chicken to skillet and brown on each side. Move to plate.
Place onions in the pan and stir into butter and drippings, scraping up any browned bits from pan. Cook until tender, stirring frequently. Add flour and stir for one minute.  Add chicken broth slowly and bring to boil. Put chicken back in pan, reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked through, stirring occasionally. Add cream and nutmeg. Boil until gravy is thickened, stirring often.

Serve with mashed potatoes and a sprinkling of parsley for garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...