Thursday, July 2, 2009

Shredded Beef Au Jus


This came from Taste of Home magazine, the June/July 2009 issue. We rarely eat beef, but I got a good sale and thought this sounded good. It was. Quite delicious, actually. The beef had a very nice flavor the first day but was even better as leftovers. We ate it on buns, but it would be delicious alone, with a side of mashed potatoes. On a side note, the recipe calls for using the juices for dipping; we didn't do that and I ended up throwing all the extra juice out a few days later. I'm sure it could have been made into a tasty gravy if I had so desired, though.

Recipe:
1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 lb or so)
2 cups water
2 t. beef bouillon granules (or 2 cubes)
1-1/2 t. dried oregano
1 t. garlic salt
1 t. seasoned salt
1/4 t. dried rosemary, crushed (optional)
8 hamburger buns, split

Cut roast in half, trim off all large chunks of fat, and place in a 4 or 5 quart slow cooker. Combine the water, bouillon, and seasonings; pour over the beef.

Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender. Remove beef; cool slightly. Meanwhile, skim fat from the cooking liquid. (good luck with that, I wasn't very successful)

Shred meat with 2 forks; return to the cooking liquid and heat through. Using a slotted spoon, place 1/2 cup on eaach bun. Serve with additional cooking liquid on the side.

2 comments:

  1. Just ran across your blog off of Pioneer Woman's.

    I made this recipe too. We loved it. In fact we liked it so much we are making it for our daughter's wedding soon.

    I am not a fan of barbeque sauce. My daughter /son-in-law-to-be are. They want BBQ sauce available with it too. Do you think this beef recipe goes ok with BBQ sauce? I would love to hear your opinion on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by!
    Thoughts about barbeque sauce: I think that as long as the beef is well drained, it would be delicious with barbeque sauce. I wouldn't want a bunch of the juice mixed with/watering down the sauce, personally.
    Definitely give it a try and see how your daughter likes it...before the big day, of course!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...