Monday, July 27, 2009

Cinnamon Rolls

This gem of a recipe is courtesy of the Pioneer Woman. After reading all the rave reviews on her site about them, I just HAD to give them a try. I made them for a bake sale for my MOPS group
and kept a pan at home for my crew. I have to say, they were a big hit. Everyone that I saw eat one at the sale said they were amazing....and my family certainly enjoyed them a lot. I did alter her recipe a bit.....I can't figure out if it was a typo or she really meant it....but for the filling of the dough, she called for 3-4 CUPS of butter. Do you realize that's 6-8 sticks??? Geez Louise, that just can't be right! I actually used slightly less than 2 sticks, or 1 cup of butter total in the filling. It was plenty, I assure you. So if you want to follow her recipe exactly, go ahead, but I just can't imagine that quantity of butter being a good thing.
The frosting is just fantastic...I really love cinnamon rolls with a cream cheese frosting, but this was a really nice change and so delicious.

Recipe:

1 quart whole milk (4 cups)
1 cup canola oil
1 cup sugar
2 pkgs. Active Dry Yeast (or about 2 T. bulk yeast)
8 + 1 cups all purpose flour
1 heaping t. baking powder
1 scant t. baking soda
1 heaping T. salt
1 cup melted butter
2 cups sugar
generous sprinkling of cinnamon

Maple Frosting:
1 (2 lb) bag powdered sugar
2 t. maple flavoring
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup brewed coffee
1/8 t. salt

Mix the milk, oil, and sugar in a pan. Scald (heat until just below boiling point) the mixture, then turn off the heat and let it cool for 45 min.-an hour. When the mixture is lukewarm-warm but NOT hot, add the yeast and stir around. Let sit a couple of minutes, then add 8 cups of flour. Stir in and then cover and let rise for at least an hour.

Add one more cup flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir mixture together. At this point, you could cover the dough and refrigerate for several hours or even a day or two if necessary. That's what I did. Just check the dough and punch down if it's rising out of the bowl.

Sprinkle surface generously with flour. VERY generously. This dough is seriously sticky and loose....the extra flour won't hurt it. Divide the dough in half and roll out 1 portion of it into a large rectangle. Drizzle 1/2 cup melted butter over the top, followed by 1 cup of sugar and a generous sprinkling of cinnamon. Starting at the opposite long end, start rolling it neatly and tightly toward yourself. Pinch the seam to seal.

Spread a tablespoon of butter (total) in 7 round foil cake or pie pans. Cut the rolls about 1 inch thick and place in buttered pans. I put about 7-8 rolls in each pan. Repeat this process with the other half of the dough. Let the rolls rise for 20-30 minutes, then bake at 400 ° for 15-18 minutes, or until light golden brown.

For the frosting, stir together all ingredients well. It should be thick but pourable. Generously drizzle over the warm rolls! Don't skimp.....get all those edges! You won't think you'll use it all, but you really will, I promise.


It makes a LOT of rolls....so give a few pans away!

Before frosting.....


After frosting!

2 comments:

  1. I love her cinnamon rolls. They are so rich.
    I have an award for you on blog. I was tagged for it and needed to tag other blogs I read, so yours is one I chose.

    www.herdingducks.blogspot.com

    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  2. Camille,
    Thank you for the award! How fun! I'm glad you enjoy my blog..it's fun to meet new friends!

    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...