Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies

Oh my. Why on earth did I make these when I'm trying to lose the baby weight and do NOT need to have irresistible chocolaty treats lying around my kitchen? My excuse for making them was a playdate with a couple of friends.....but really, I didn't have to make something so wicked. Truthfully, I had been eying them in my Taste of Home Cookie cookbook for over a year and finally buckled and made them. My friends loved them, the kids loved them (one little girl was trying to climb up the cabinets to get to the countertop to reach them!).....only Grant was a dissenter. But he doesn't count, since he hates marshmallows. There's no way he was going to like them.

Recipe: (yields about 3 dozen)

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1 t. vanilla extract
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup baking cocoa
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 cup chocolate chips
18 large marshmallows (more or less)

Icing:
6 T. butter, softened
2 T. baking cocoa
1/4 cup milk
1-3/4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 t. vanilla extract
Pecan halves (optional)

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg, milk, and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; beat into creamed mixture. Add chocolate chips.

Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 7-8 minutes. Meanwhile, cut marshmallows in half. Press a marshmallow half cut side down onto each cookie. Return to the oven for 2 minutes. After removing from oven, press gently down on each marshmallow to flatten a bit. Cool completely on a wire rack.

For icing, in a small saucepan, combine butter, cocoa, and milk. Bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Cool slightly; transfer to a small mixing bowl. Beat in powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Spread over the cooled cookies. Top each with a pecan half if desired.

Note: I had a bit of leftover icing. Which tastes absolutely amazing by itself. Oh darn.



4 comments:

  1. Rebekah, You have a beautiful blog and family! These cookies look delicious. I blog too.. but don't have much up yet - if you have the time, check it out at goodcookbecky.wordpress.com I will make these cookies for our church function this weekend. I will post results later. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are too adorable! I love s'mores so of course I am happy to see them in a cookie version ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look so delicious!!! I love marshmallows so I just know I would love these. Perfect cookie smore!!!! Thank you so much for linking to Trick or Treat Tuesday!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...