Monday, October 13, 2008

Pumpkin Bread


This is one of our family's favorite quick breads. I got the original over at Tammy's Recipes and made a few modifications to make it healthier. This time, I used homemade pumpkin puree that I had in the freezer from last year and it turned out perfect....so I think it's safe to say that pumpkin freezes extremely well!

Recipe: (yields 2 loaves)

2 3/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup oil
3 eggs
2/3 cup water (I used 1/2 cup because my pumpkin puree was pretty soupy)
2 cups pumpkin (or one 15 oz can)
1 cup chopped nuts, optional
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 t. cinnamon
1 1/2 t. salt
1 t. nutmeg
2 t. baking soda
1 T. baking powder

Preheat oven to 350.
In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, applesauce, oil, and eggs. Stir in water and pumpkin and nuts, if using. (I just use a few nuts to sprinkle on top of one loaf).
In a separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients, mixing well. Add to creamed mixture and beat until smooth.
Pour into two greased and floured loaf pans, sprinkle nuts on top if desired. (I like walnuts)
Bake for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Cool for 10 minutes, then remove to cool on a wire rack. Best to wait until cool before cutting, but this bread sure does taste good fresh out of the oven!

Freezes beautifully if well wrapped in foil.

2 comments:

  1. Anna really wanted some pumpkin bread yesterday. So, after I baked one large pumpkin and pureed the pulp, I made your recipe. I made 4 little tube cakss for Eva
    and those who don't want nuts. And I made 2 loaves. I sprinkled some cinnamon and sugar on top of all cakes or loaves (to make them a little sweeter and more like dessert). They were delicious!

    BTW: The large pumpkin produced 15cups of pumpkin puree. I paid $3.49 plus tax for it at Wal-Mart. So, I figure that's a pretty good price. I still have 1 large pumpkin to bake and puree.
    It does take a while to process a large pumpkin. I still need to roast the seeds. Dad ate one with the shell on it this a.m. and promptly proclaimed that it was a little tough. I told him you aren't supposed to eat the shell---just the nut inside---sorta like eating sunflower seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked the bread! We all sure do....and it freezes really well, so I like that it makes 2 loaves, one to eat and one to freeze for later.
    Yeah, that was a pretty good deal on the pumpkin, seeing as the cans have a little less than 2 cups and cost at least $1 a piece.
    As far as the seeds go, after you roast them, we eat the whole thing...no spitting out anything like sunflower seeds. Raw, I wouldn't do that.
    Pumpkin seeds are very nutritious! I can't remember all that they have, but I know I read an article about how great they are for ya. So eat up! I bet you have a lot of them!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...