Friday, October 10, 2008

Mound Bars


I made these to share at our Community Day at church last Sunday. I avoid baking with coconut for our family because Grant doesn't like it but consider that a minor tragedy since I absolutely adore it, except on shrimp....blech. Mounds and Almond Joys are some of my favorite candy bars and I was excited to see a recipe for a similar tasting bar on Allrecipes. I've been waiting for a chance to make these for quite awhile. I'm happy to report that I was not disappointed....these are extremely tasty! And VERY easy.

Recipe:
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 stick butter or margarine
1/4 cup sugar
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk (fat free is fine)
2 cups flaked sweetened coconut
1 package semi-sweet chocolate chips
5 T. milk

Preheat oven to 350. Combine graham cracker crumbs, butter, and sugar. Press into a 13 x 9 inch pan and bake for 15 minutes. Now you can do one of two things. Either (1.) Sprinkle the coconut over the top and drizzle the sweetened condensed milk on top of that or (2) Mix the coconut and milk together and spread on top of graham crackers. I did number 1. I think next time I'll try option 2. Whatever you choose, get the coconut and milk on top. Bake for 15 minutes. Melt the chocolate chips and milk together and stir until smooth. Spread on top of warm coconut. Chill before cutting. Can be stored room temp or in fridge. Delish!

2 comments:

  1. Joseph saw this recipe and actually sent me an e-mail while he was at JBU today asking me to make them. Sooooooo, I made them tonight. They are very good, but I don't think they taste like mounds because of the crust. They actually taste a lot like "Hello Dolly Bars" except these don't have nuts. Anyway, we liked them and they were very easy to make (and I think I'll add pecans next time). Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom,
    I agree...they don't taste exactly like the candy bar, but they sure are good! I think they'd be great with almonds sprinkled on top too. I guess it'd be pretty weird to bake just the coconut and chocolate with no crust. Glad you liked them....and I thought of you when I made them, actually, knowing you'd like them!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...