Saturday, December 4, 2010

Taste of Fall Salad

I didn't include the dressing in the photo....it was a couple of hours before we would eat and I didn't want the lettuce to get soggy.

This recipe from Taste of Home (Oct/Nov '09 issue) caught my eye a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving and although salads aren't part of the traditional menu for our family, I just thought it might be a nice addition - something healthy and refreshing amidst all the carb-loaded delicacies. 

It really was lovely.  And I even forgot to buy the fresh parmesan to grate on top.....and it was still good.

I do think that next time I'll add a little sugar to the dressing....just personal preference.  (Oops....just as I'm typing up this recipe, I realized that it does call for sugar in the dressing and I forgot to put it in there!  Geez, I really messed this salad up and it was still delicious!)

The pecans were surprisingly (to me, anyway) delicious.....they looked burnt when I was done cooking them, but it was just the balsamic vinegar making them dark.  I made them a couple of days ahead of time, which worked nicely.

The addition of juicy pears to a salad was wonderful.....I loved the variation from the usual tomatoes. 

Recipe:

2/3 c. pecan halves
2 T. balsamic vinegar
Dash cayenne pepper
Dash ground cinnamon
1 T. sugar

Dressing
1/4 c. olive oil
2 T. balsamic vinegar
2 T. sugar
1 t. Dijon mustard
1/8 t. salt

1 pkg (9 oz) leafy green romaine (or desired salad greens)
1-2 medium pears, thinly sliced
1/4 c. shredded Parmesan cheese

In a large heavy skillet, cook the pecans, 2 T. vinegar, cayenne and cinnamon over medium heat until nuts are toasted, about 4 minutes.  Sprinkle with 1 T. sugar.  Cook and stir for 2-4 minutes or until sugar is melted. (my sugar never did completely melt).  Spread on foil to cool.

Place salad greens in a large bowl.

Combine the dressing ingredients; drizzle over greens and toss to coat.  Arrange the greens, pear slices, and pecans on six salad plates.  Sprinkle with cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...