Thursday, December 23, 2010

Chicken Enchilada Pasta




Chicken Enchilada Pasta?  Really?

It's delicious.  Really.

Well, the middle 2 girls weren't crazy about it, but the baby loves it!  She shovels it down faster than I can put it on her tray!  Grant and Corban and I decided it was added to our "favorites" list for sure.

Next time I might try it with homemade enchilada sauce just for health reasons.....I don't have a recipe for green sauce, but I'll be on the look-out.  I might even add a little cilantro to it.....if I have it.  But it's wonderful as is....and very easy to make.


Recipe (adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe)

1-1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts (can use leftover cooked chicken if you have it)
2 tablespoons olive oil 
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 medium onion, diced
1 red  or green pepper, diced (I used green)
4-ounce can diced green chilies
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 (10-oz) can green chili enchilada sauce (I used mild)
1 (10-oz) can red enchilada sauce (I used mild)
1 can large black olives, cut in half (optional - I did not include)
1 cup sour cream
1- 1/2 cups shredded cheese (I used sharp cheddar)
13.25 oz box whole wheat penne (or desired pasta)
Cut chicken breasts into bite-sized cubes, salt and pepper to taste and cook in a large skillet with a T. of oil until done.  Remove from pan.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the pasta until tender.

While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet and add the onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes until onion is translucent. Add the garlic and red/green pepper and cook for another 2 minutes, until pepper is barely tender. Add the cooked chicken, green chilies, spices, enchilada sauces and olives. Let the sauce simmer for about 8-10 minutes. Add the sour cream and cheese and heat through, until the cheese is melted (but don’t boil!). Pour the sauce over the hot pasta. Garnish with extra sour cream, cheese, diced tomatoes, green onions or crushed tortilla chips.

Linked to Finding Joy in My Kitchen (Ingredient Spotlight: Chicken and Pasta)

2 comments:

  1. Tried this last night! Awesome! I did add red pepper and black beans which was really good. My hubby thought it could use more spice do next time I think I might add a little chipotle! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea to add the pepper and beans! That sounds delicious!
      I go easy on the spices because of the young picky kids I have.....but I'm sure a little chipotle would be great. So glad you liked it!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...