Wednesday, November 10, 2010

"M" is for Mississippi Mud Brownies



Our pastor and his wife are named Mark and Mary, which made them an easy choice as the recipients of our Letter M project, Mississippi Mud Brownies. 

Definitely not something to make for the calorie-counter, these are pretty easy to whip together and are a very special treat.  Other variations are called Mississippi Mud Cake, but the texture is definitely more brownie-like, so I'm sticking with the brownie label.  They're definitely rich and you only need a small piece, although my children said they could just keep eating them all day long. 
When I gave them a sample at lunch and they all gushed, "It's better than an A+, Mom!"
Generous on the grading scale, aren't they! 

Marissa even went to far as to say it's her favorite dessert ever.  Of course, I take that with a grain of salt, since she's been prone to say that about whatever dessert she's eating at the time, but I have a feeling this one really is up there on the charts.

I suspect the man of the house won't be a fan, with the marshmallows and all, which still doesn't make sense to me, because he freely admitted to eating nearly a whole package of marshmallows on his camping trip with Corban last weekend.  Anyways.

Update: He DID love them....surprise surprise!  I think he was even shocked himself at how much he liked them.  

I reduced the sugar called for in the original recipe both in the cake layer and the frosting and it is still plenty sweet.  My changed are reflected below.

Recipe (modified from Allrecipes

2 sticks (1 cup) butter
1/3 c. unsweetened cocoa
1-1/2 c. granulated sugar
4 eggs
2 t. vanilla
1-1/2 c. flour
1/4 t. salt
1 c. chopped pecans (optional - I think they would be fabulous, but my family would revolt)
2-3 cups miniature marshmallows (enough to cover the top)

Frosting:
1 stick (1/2 c.) butter
1/3 c. unsweetened cocoa
2-3/4 c. powdered sugar
1/3 c. milk

Preheat oven to 350°.
Grease a 13 x 9" pan.
In a large saucepan, melt butter.  Remove from heat and sift in cocoa, stirring until smooth.  Add sugar and stir well.  Add eggs and vanilla, mix to combine, then add flour and salt, stirring just until incorporated.   
Pour batter into prepared pan.  Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Do NOT overbake!
Immediately upon removing from oven, top with marshmallows.  Return to oven for 2-3 minutes, or until marshmallows are soft.  Do NOT brown!!  That will make them chewy and tough and difficult to cut. Not good. 
When marshmallows are soft, remove from oven and make frosting.

In a medium saucepan, melt butter.  Add cocoa (sifted, of course) and then powdered sugar and milk.  Stir until smooth and creamy.  Add more milk a teaspoon at a time if necessary for consistency.
Drizzle frosting over marshmallows and smooth to cover completely. 
Allow to cool before cutting.


To see the rest of our Alphabet Service Projects, click here.

7 comments:

  1. Ahh... marshmallows are another 'hard to find' item here. Sometimes a certain expensive store has them. Forget miniatures!

    Love brownies though, so I'll have to try the first part of the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaylana,
    I'm sorry you can't find marshmallows. I've toyed with the idea of making some....maybe sometime soon I'll get around to it!

    As far as brownies go, these ones are good with the stuff on top, but to stand alone, I'm pretty sure I would prefer the brownies from the S'mores recipe here. (just omit the graham crackers and obviously the marshmallows on top) http://rebekahsfamilyfoodandfun.blogspot.com/2010/10/smores-brownies.html
    Just my personal preference!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So delicious and decadent! I make ones that are similar and they are always gone in a flash. People love ooey gooey brownies :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice brownies.. they look absolutely delicious!! :)
    Greets!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found this post on Pinterest - they look soooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried this recipe and reviewed it here:

    http://misslyndaj.blogspot.com/2012/07/mississippi-mud-brownies.html

    Happy Eating!
    Lynda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your review. I'm glad the brownies were enjoyed by your family!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...