Saturday, November 6, 2010

"L" is for Lemon Snowballs


This is a very soft refeshing cookie bursting with Lemon flavor.  The kids and I Like them a lot, although Grant isn't a big Lemon fan and chose to abstain from even trying one.

I'm not afraid to whip out the jarred lemon juice for many recipes, but since I bought lemons to zest anyways, I went ahead and juiced them.  I did have to add a little of the jarred lemon juice to make enough.

The girls and I had a Lovely time delivering them to a friend, Lisa, and she was so gracious and sweet to us, showing the girls around her home, telling them about her family, and using L words whenever she could.  I think she was also grateful that we didn't choose to bring her Liver, Lettuce, or Lollypops, although Corban insisted the Liver would be hysterical.  Hahaha.  That's a boy for you. 

Recipe: (from Allrecipes)

1/2 cup butter, softened
2/3 c. sugar
1 egg
1/4 c. lemon juice
zest of 1 lemon (~ 1 T.)
1-3/4 c. all purpose flour
1/4 t. baking soda
1/4 t. cream of tartar
1/4 t. salt
1/2 c. finely chopped almonds (optional)
powdered sugar

In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add egg and blend well.  Stir in lemon juice and zest.  Mixture will appear lumpy and weird - don't panic!
In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt.  Add to wet mixture and stir well.  Add almonds if desired.  Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour, up to overnight.

Preheat oven to 350°.
Roll dough into 1-inch balls and place on ungreased baking sheets.
Bake for 9-10 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned (tops will not brown).  Remove from baking sheet immediately and put on wire racks.  After a couple of minutes, roll in powdered sugar.


To see the rest of our Alphabet Service Projects, click here. 

3 comments:

  1. These sound delicious and reminds me of a cookie I used to buy in the store. I love lemon and the traditional snowballs for christmas...I will try them this week I just bought a bag of lemons and need to use them. Thanks (alice)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alice,
    I hope you like them! They do remind me of a lemony powdered sugar cookie my mom used to buy also....although those were crunchy. I was hoping these would be like those....but couldn't figure out how to get them crispy without being burnt. The cookie is more cakey. That being said, they're really delicious. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember doing fun projects like this when my kids were little. You are one awesome Mom--keep up the great work (I know it can be exhausting as kids have so much energy)! The cookies look delicious--I love lemon anything!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...