Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Hashbrown Casserole

I made this for my MOPS group brunch last week and made an extra one for my family for dinner (to serve alongside sloppy joes). A comfort food to the max, it was very popular with the ladies and my family alike. How could you go wrong with potatoes, butter, and cheese anyways? I mean, really.
I used my homemade cream of chicken soup, but you could certainly use store bought if you wish. It would also be delicious with crumbled cooked bacon or ham added.

Update: I have also made this with cream of mushroom soup with equally delicious results....and I have decreased the butter to 4-5 Tablespoons and couldn't even tell a difference.  


Recipe:

1 (2 pound) package frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

1.Preheat oven to 350°. Spray one 9x13 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2.In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, butter, salt, pepper, onions, soup and cheese. Gently mix and pour into prepared pan or dish. Bake uncovered for 35 minutes. It may look overly greasy, but never fear! Once it cools a few minutes, all that deliciousness will somehow sink into the potatoes and they will look and taste fabulous!

Note: If you use "southern style" hashbrowns (as I did) instead of shredded, you may need an additional 5-10 minutes baking time.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this- we always have it with deviled eggs and turkey- yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this for breakfast this morning alongside French Toast (which Henry made). It was awesome. My loving husband volunteered me to make breakfast for his office staff next Friday. I will definitely be making this. Thanks for sharing the recipe Rebekah.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...