Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Sloppy Joes

I have never made sloppy joes from a can. I thought about it once, but when I read the ingredient list, there was no question that the answer was a resounding "No way." I hesitated to even try making them from scratch, since Grant had said he didn't care for them much anyways, but then I just took the plunge and tried this recipe from Allrecipes.
With a couple of modifications, it became an instant hit with my family, except for Corban (6.5), who complains that they're - you guessed it - too sloppy.

Recipe:

1 pound ground turkey or lean ground beef
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
1/4 cup barbecue sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
3 teaspoons brown sugar
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste

1.In a medium skillet over medium heat, brown the ground turkey, onion, and green pepper; drain off liquids.
2.Stir in the garlic powder, mustard, barbecue sauce, ketchup, and brown sugar; mix thoroughly. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Serve on buns of your choice.

1 comment:

  1. So, this was deeeeelicious!!!, but I failed to have the bread on hand =( I used baked potatoes instead-kinda like putting chili on a potato! The kids loved it! Thanks =D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...