Saturday, April 17, 2010

Banana Muffins (One bowl)

I modified this recipe from one here after trying to find a new banana muffin recipe on foodgawker.com. (Have I told you how much I love that website??)

I thought these were top notch. They were very easy to whip together and just had a wonderful texture and flavor. The kids adored them and wouldn't stop eating them. I doubled the batch because I had a bunch of very ripe bananas - but this is the single version. I think you should get 12 muffins out of it.

I substituted coconut oil for half of the originally called for butter - you can certainly just use all butter if you so desire. I don't think I've mentioned on here before - but I bought a gallon jug of coconut oil from Mountain Rose Herbs at the beginning of March. I've been adding it into recipes all over the place, like pancakes, smoothies, oatmeal, even sauteing chicken in it. It has tremendous health benefits, as you can read about here.


Recipe:

2 large ripe bananas, peeled
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup milk
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
chopped walnuts (optional)
chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat the oven to 375°. Line 12 muffins tins with muffin/cupcake liners or grease tins.
Put the bananas in a large, microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Add the butter and coconut oil and microwave 20 seconds at a time until the butter is softened but not melted. (It is fine if a little bit of it melts).
Using a potato masher, mash the bananas, butter, and oil together until there isn't a lot of lumpiness left.
Thoroughly stir in the sugar, beaten egg, milk, vanilla extract, and salt.
Place a sieve over the bowl and fill it with the flour, baking power and baking soda. Sift the contents into the wet ingredients, trying to stir the sieve as you go to distribute the leaveners.
Fold the dry ingredients into the wet. Stop when they are just moistened.
Distribute the batter into the tins. Top with walnuts and/or chocolate chips if desired. Bake about 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...