Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup

I got this from Tammy's Recipes and have only used it in the Chicken Spaghetti that I'm going to post about next, but it worked out fabulously and I intend on using it instead of storebought as often as possible. Now, you can't ignore the "easy" and convenient factor of the canned soup, but it isn't the healthiest stuff in the world and it has gotten so expensive! It's about $1.20 a can around here. This recipe makes 2 cans worth, and I can guarantee you it doesn't cost nearly $2.40 to make. Plus it's healthy and tasty. You just have to plan a little ahead to make it.

Recipe

In a large stock pot, whisk together:

1 1/2 cups chicken broth or water
1 1/4 cups milk
3/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon parsley
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1-2 teaspoons salt

After whisking (to remove flour lumps), bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly, and boil for a minute or two until thick. Makes 3 cups.

4 comments:

  1. I bet I could use plant milk in this and make it for us. I have missed my chicken and biscuit recipe. I will still have to leave out the cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you know if you can make and freeze this???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can! I have made a batch and only used half of it and frozen the other half to use later....it worked just fine!

      Delete
  3. THANK YOU! I'll be using this in my recipes in place of the canned soup from now on.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...