Thursday, April 22, 2010

Apple Crisp

A few weeks ago, one of our friends made an apple crisp for our small group. I tasted it and thought it was awesome - but immediately thought it was too bad Grant wouldn't like it, because he rarely even tries desserts without chocolate. Little did I know.

He ate one helping and without hesitation went back for a second, even larger helping.

He not only liked it, he wouldn't stop raving about it.

Unfortunately for him, he was travelling the next week when I decided to use up some apples in the fridge and make an apple crisp for a friend who just had a baby....with an extra pan for us.
He missed out on the whole thing. Sorry Honey!

I was unable to get a hold of the friend who made the crisp for the recipe - so I kind of made up my own, based on what I remembered her saying she used. Here's what I did.

Recipe:

8 cups (about 9-10 medium) cored, peeled, and sliced cooking apples
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup flour
1-1/2 cup (packed) brown sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 cups oats (I used regular, quick oats would be fine as well)
1 cup butter, melted
Chopped walnuts (optional)
Whipped topping, whipped cream, or vanilla ice cream for serving (optional)

Spread apple slices in a greased 9 x 13 baking dish. Sprinkle with lemon juice. (Skip lemon juice if apples are extremely tart.)

Combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and oats. Add melted butter and mix until crumbly. Sprinkle over apples. Top with nuts if desired.

Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until top is golden brown and apples are softened.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...