Thursday, January 22, 2009

Spaghetti Sauce

I used to just buy canned spaghetti sauce and add some diced tomatoes and a little seasoning to it and call it done. Then I started getting serious about reading labels and removing high fructose corn syrup and partially hydrogenated oils from our diets and realized that either I would need to buy organic spaghetti sauce, or....much cheaper....make my own. I made this a few nights ago and we had it for two dinners and a lunch.....and the kids gobbled it up every time. That's a mark of a keeper meal! Oh, and Grant and I loved it too. Here's what I did.

Recipe:

1 lb ground turkey
1 onion, finely chopped
1/2 large green pepper, finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
1 (14 oz) can Italian diced tomatoes (or regular diced tomatoes
1 yellow squash or zucchini, finely chopped
2 T. sugar
1 T. kosher salt
1 T. dried basil
1 t. dried oregano
1 T. worcestershire sauce
freshly ground pepper, to taste

Brown the ground turkey with the onion, green pepper, and garlic. Drain if necessary. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for at least 30 minutes, but preferably up to three hours. Be sure to stir occasionally to prevent sticking! Yes, it's time consuming, but it was SO good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...