Monday, September 14, 2009

Chocolate Syrup

When I was growing up, homemade chocolate syrup was a constant presence at family gatherings, whether they be birthday parties, Easter, Mother's Day, Christmas, or whatever. Who needs an excuse for chocolate syrup, anyways? And it nearly always topped homemade vanilla ice cream. Talk about decadent!

There are some people in my extended family who would even admit to eating spoonfuls of it straight. Not that I would ever be guilty of such a thing. Never.

Recipe:

1 stick of butter
1 cup sugar
3 heaping T. baking cocoa
5 oz can evaporated milk (or heavy cream)
pinch of salt
1 t. vanilla

Melt butter in a saucepan. Sift sugar and cocoa together and then add to the butter. Pour in milk and pinch of salt. Stir constantly until it boils for about 3 minutes. (It can take awhile to come to a boil...be patient!) Remove from heat and add vanilla.

Serve warm over ice cream or even biscuits, if you dare (you can call it chocolate gravy!)

Store leftovers in refrigerator.


4 comments:

  1. Yummy!!!! What a treat. I would eat it straight off the spoon too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Rebekah. You know I am trying to lose weight. And, you know how I love this chocolate syrup!! Seeing your picture of it makes me want to go make some and have a big hot fudge sundae with nuts!
    Thankfully, we are out of ice cream or I would probably be in the kitchen in a few minutes making this syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom, I know....it's terrible. I made a triple batch for the trifle bar a couple of weeks ago and have had tons left over sitting in my fridge begging to be eaten. I mean, it would be a crime to throw it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would be a shame to throw it out. You know how I hate to waste things! It's not cheap to make ---and it's sooooooo good! I think it will last a long time in the refrigerator (although it usually goes so fast that we don't usually get to test that). So, eat it slowly and ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...