Wednesday, September 5, 2012

S'Mores on a Stick


This is just about as easy and fun of a treat as you can get. 

For Annika's 5th birthday party, the theme was "Horses".  The menu included grilled hot dogs, carrots with dip, sliced apples ('cause those are things that horses eat, of course), chips, trail mix, Haystack cookies, lemonade and root beer, and these little goodies.  I figured s'mores are a campfire treat, and cowboys sometimes ate around a campfire (although probably not s'mores....), so it sort of fit.

The kids didn't care if it fit the theme, they just loved them.  Loved. Them.  They all would have eaten fistfuls of them if I had let them, but since these were keeping them occupied while I was getting the cake and ice cream served, I didn't want them to eat too many.

I can't remember where I found the idea - I searched so many blogs and websites for horse party ideas and didn't bookmark everything.  I do know that where I saw it originally, they used lollipop sticks, but I figured that craft sticks were much cheaper and would work just fine.  They did.....but I'm sure lollipop sticks would be great too.

I think these would also be great rolled in chopped salted peanuts or pretzels instead of the graham crackers - or dipped in melted Nutella - or covered with cute colored sprinkles - or any number of crazy ways you could make them your own.

Kids love food on a stick, especially when there's marshmallows and chocolate involved - and let's be honest - the adults do too. 

S'Mores on a Stick
Yield: about 18

18 Large marshmallows
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1-1/2 graham cracker sheets

Craft sticks or lollipop sticks
Floral foam blocks (for holding the treats upright)

  1. Insert the sticks into the bottom of the marshmallows, making sure that they don't go all the way through to the other side.
  2. Melt the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and stir until smooth.
  3. Crush the graham crackers in a zip lock bag with a rolling pin and then pour into a bowl.
  4. Dip the marshmallows partially into the chocolate.  Scrape off any excess - you don't want it super thick.  You can also just use a spoon to spread the chocolate around on the marshmallows.
  5. Immediately roll the chocolate-dipped marshmallow in the graham cracker crumbs. 
  6. Set the stick upright into the floral foam.  Repeat until all the marshmallows are dipped. 
  7. Store any leftovers in an airtight container.  Best eaten the first day, but okay on the second.


4 comments:

  1. I originally saw the s'mores on stick using lollipop sticks in Sandra Lee's Semi-homemade Dessert cookbook. She called them Hobo S'mores. Our family loves these and they are always a hit at parties!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool idea! I never saw anything like that before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look so good Rebekah! My kids would love these! Have a wonderful weekend! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these! Anything on a stick is fun to eat. My girls will have a blast making these!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...