Friday, September 28, 2012

Morning Glory Muffins



Muffins are one of my favorite things to have for breakfast.

I usually end up making some sort of muffin once or twice a week.....usually featuring bananas, since it's rare that I don't have some languishing on my counter.
Because once a banana has even a hint of a brown spot on it, I'm not very likely to just eat it.  Oh, I might try to feed it to the kids.....but not many of them are willing eaters of plain, unadorned bananas.

These, however, do not have a smidgen of banana in them.

But there's lots of other good things, like applesauce, carrots, coconut, raisins, flaxseed, and whole wheat flour.  And they are delicious.
My children were excited to have something new and these were a definite hit.

My only complaint was that they didn't rise up very tall.....so I suppose I could just make fewer of them next time and they'll be a bit bigger.

Morning Glory Muffins (adapted from Parade magazine)
Yield: 17-18 muffins

2 eggs
1/4 cup coconut oil 
1/2 cup applesauce
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups white whole wheat or all purpose flour
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
2 medium carrots, shredded
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup slivered almonds, optional

Preheat oven to 350°.  Place liners in 17 or 18 muffin cups.
In a large bowl, beat eggs, oil, applesauce, milk, and vanilla for one minute.  Add flour, brown sugar, flaxseed, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.  Stir just until combined.  (Don't overmix!)  Add carrots, coconut,  and raisins.  Mix gently.
Spoon batter into liners. Sprinkle with almonds if desired.
Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool on wire racks.

Linked to Seasonal Inspiration

1 comment:

  1. I like muffins for breakfast too. I'll have to try this one. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...