Monday, September 10, 2012

Creamy Slow Cooker Chicken and Biscuits - SRC


I first heard about the Secret Recipe Club (SRC) about nine months ago and I was instantly intrigued.  Food bloggers are put into groups and assigned another blog from which to make a recipe.  Then the group all reveals their chosen recipe on a designated Monday.  I thought that sounded like SO. MUCH. FUN.

I applied to be included, but there was a waiting list.  Boo. I'm not fond of waiting.  But in August, I finally got the word that I was in the club and in Group B.  Hurray!!

So my first assignment was Danielle, who has a really cool blog called Mostly Food and Crafts.
The first thing that I noticed about her was that she's from Nashville - instant connection here.
I lived in Nashville for two years after college, and that's where Grant and I met.
My older sister still lives outside of Nashville with her family.
LOVE that place.

Anyways, Danielle has some really cute craft ideas like Holiday Coasters, a Thankful Tablecloth, Photo Canvas Ornaments, and lots more.  Man, I wish I was crafty.  (or is it "craftsy"?)


A few of her recipes that I really want to try were the Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs,  Pumpkin Pie Smoothies, and  Slow Cooked Pernil (a Puerto Rican pulled pork).

However, as I perused her recipe index, I began to realize how little I cook with ethnic ingredients.

Yucca Fritters with a Sunshine Aioli  - wow, they looked great, and I had no idea what yucca was!

I never use goat cheese or feta cheese or garam marsala or tahini or artichokes or chickpeas.  Or cucumbers.  Or eggplant.  My goodness, I am pickier than I ever thought!

I have to say, I am inspired to step out of my comfort zone and try some new things, so thank you, Danielle!

But for this time, I chose something that I knew my family would all like - and boy, did I pick a winner.

It's similar to my Chicken Pot Pie, but since you toss everything in the crock pot, it's easier and quicker and my goodness, was it delicious.  It's got all the wonderful flavors of the vegetables, the chicken is tender and easy to shred, and the cream added in the last 30 minutes adds an incredible richness.  Grant and I agreed that this is a new favorite for sure.

The original called for some white wine, which I didn't have on hand, so I just added more broth.  I also added a sweet potato for extra nutrition and  I made the biscuits from scratch - but you can use canned ones if you want - whatever kind you like.

Creamy Slow Cooker Chicken and Biscuits 
(adapted from Mostly Food and Crafts, biscuits adapted from Allrecipes)

1 lb carrots, cut into 1-inch lengths
4 celery stalks, thinly sliced
1 large sweet potato, diced into bite-size pieces
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup flour
2-1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 tsp. poultry seasoning
2 tsp. kosher salt 
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1-1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth 
2 cups frozen peas
1/2 cup heavy cream (can add more if desired)
Extra salt and pepper to taste, if desired
*Biscuits (recipe follows), or use store bought ones, baked according to directions on can

In a crock pot, combine the carrots, celery, sweet potato, onion, and flour.  Place chicken on top and season with the poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper.  Add the broth (and wine, if using) to the pot.  Cover the crock pot and cook until the chicken and vegetables are tender, on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 2-1/2 to 3 hours.  (I actually started with frozen chicken breasts and cooked on low for 5 hours - turned out perfect.  Can vary depending on how hot your slow cooker gets.) 
About 30 minutes before serving, prepare the biscuits.
While they're baking, remove the chicken and shred it into bite sized pieces and return to crock pot.  Add the frozen peas, cream, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir well and cover and cook until heated through.
To serve, place the bottom halves of the biscuits in shallow bowls, then top with the chicken mixture and the remaining biscuit halves.

Biscuits:

2 cups all-purpose flour
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, very cold
3/4 cup milk

Preheat oven to 400° F.  Line a baking sheet with a silicone liner or parchment paper.
Combine flour, baking powder, and salt.  Grate cold butter into it, and combine with your fingers or a fork until the mixture has a fine crumb texture.  Stir in milk to make a soft dough.  A few additional drops of milk may be needed.  Knead 8-10 times, and then roll out to a thickness of at least 1/2 inch.  Cut into rounds with a cookie or biscuit cutter. Place on baking sheet and allow to rest a few minutes.  Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until lightly browned.  Serve warm.


Linked to Trick or Treat Tuesday

17 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you liked this! I forgot all about this recipe and now I am craving it again. Im in Hedersonville - anywhere near your sister?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister lives in Franklin - although when we lived there together (just out of college) we lived in Bellevue. I definitely miss the Nashville area - would love to move back there someday. :)

      Delete
  2. What a yummy looking recipe! I do love a good slow cooker recipe. SRC is the best. I was in it for a year and loved it. I missed the deadline one month and am having a hard time getting back in! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you're still on the waiting list - I'm so paranoid that I'll forget to sign up one month. I almost did for October - just made it in time.

      Delete
  3. This sounds so good! Welcome to SRC and Group B!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you love slow cooker recipes? Great choice for SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so delicious; totally my kind of meal. Although I enjoy eating a wide variety of foods, my eyes always light up when it comes to basic, soul filling food.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed making your recipe and I enjoyed reading what you made. This is real comfort food and I am thinking, I have to make this one, too. I am glad, I was your first secret recipe maker. It is such fun to participate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is...can't wait for next month already!!

      Delete
  7. Wow, that looks like a nice warm fall meal. Will need to put this on my to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks great! I'm excited you are a part of SRC too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUM - I love chicken and biscuits, and a crock pot version is perfect for those hectic days. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to SRC Group B! I love a good crock pot recipe and will be pinning this for the fall. And you'll definitely have a chance to push outside your comfort zone in SRC--enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's that time of year that I start getting out my crock pot and want warm meals!! I'll have to check out the link! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay for getting into SRC...you will enjoy it so much!!! This looks like the perfect comfort food for a chilly day. Now I just need a chilly day, so i can try it:-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...