Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Bourbon Chicken


I'm not exactly sure why this is called Bourbon Chicken, because it has no bourbon in it;  however, it tastes remarkably similar to the bourbon chicken you might buy at one of those food kiosks in the mall, which makes it a winner in my book!  I think it would taste even more authentic if you used chicken thigh meat, but I hardly ever buy that.
What do I love about this recipe?

  • It's fast - comes together in 30 minutes or less.
  • It's easy - no complicated instructions or ingredients
  • It's healthy - at least relatively so.  Unless you're avoiding soy.  
  • Number 1 reason - it's Delicious!  I mean really delicious!  All of my children loved it, which doesn't happen all the time, and Grant and I couldn't get enough of it.  I can't wait to make it again!


Recipe: (from Mel's Kitchen Cafe)

2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
4 T. oil (I used expeller pressed coconut oil - no flavor)
Cornstarch (for dusting, optional)

Sauce:
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 t. ground ginger
1/2 t. crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 c. apple juice
1/3 c. light brown sugar
2 T. ketchup
1 T. apple cider vinegar
1/2 c. water
1/3 c. soy sauce (reduced sodium)
Hot cooked rice, for serving

Cut chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces, and if you choose, lightly dust with cornstarch.  (I did not).
Heat oil in your skillet or wok and fry chicken in batches until lightly browned.  Remove to a plate and set aside.

In a bowl, combine all sauce ingredients.  Pour into skillet and bring to a boil.  Add chicken pieces back to the pan, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

Serve over hot rice.

3 comments:

  1. I love how quick and good stir-frys can be. This one looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just at the mall food court last week and almost had this, glad to be able to make it at home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I call his recipe food crack. So delish

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...