Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Black Bean Soup


This bean, vegetable, and rice soup is so hearty and delicious, you won't even miss the meat.  
We didn't, although it is remarkably similar to our Turkey and Black Bean Soup, which we also love. 
It's nice to know we can have a meatless version that is equally satisfying and delicious.  

I started out with dry beans, soaked overnight, because it's more economical and less sodium - but I'm sure canned beans would work just fine.  The recipe didn't call for rice, but I thought it would be a nice addition.  Turned out well, but I did end up with less liquid than I planned at the end and the "soup" turned into more of a casserole consistency.  We still ate it in a bowl and it was still great, but I think next time I'll add a little more liquid (broth or water) if I add rice.  
You could easily make the soup without rice and serve it on top of cooked rice if you want, we might try that too.  

Recipe:  (modified from Allrecipes)

1 lb. dry black beans (soaked overnight, drained, and rinsed) - can substitute 4 (15 oz) cans black beans
1 quart vegetable broth (or chicken or beef if you prefer)
1-1/2 T. chili powder
1 T. cumin
1-1/2 t. salt
1 t. pepper
1 (14.5 oz) can chili-ready tomatoes (or diced tomatoes)
3-4 large carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 c. brown rice (uncooked, optional)
Additional broth or water, if using rice

Combine all ingredients except the rice in a large slow-cooker.  Cook on low heat for 8-10 hours, depending on how hot your slow-cooker gets.  Add uncooked rice and a little additional liquid for the last two hours if desired.  

Serve with shredded cheese, corn chips, corn bread, or on top of hot cooked rice if desired.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rebekah! Just wanted to say how much I am LOVING your photos!!! Everything looks amazing! It was so nice of you to say you had been thinking of me! I have thought of you often too remembering how we both had such difficult early months with our pregnancies. I hope that those days are now just a memory :) I am looking forward to seeing pics of your new little gal in Oct!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Abby! I'm really trying to improve my photography....I'm definitely a work in progress!
    I am certainly happy to be done with the nausea part of pregnancy, which is by FAR the worst, but I'm not crazy about the 3rd trimester either....I'm so ready to be done with pregnancy and holding my sweet baby! We're hoping she'll come early...but with my track record (2 very late, 1 six days early, 1 one day early), you never know. Due date is Oct. 9. Thanks for writing!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...