Monday, April 14, 2014

Cheddar Chive Biscuits - SRC


This month for the Secret Recipe Club I was assigned to Rachel Cotterill, who lives in England and has a great passion for travel and learning a wide variety of skills, from juggling to rope splicing.  She has authored a couple of novels as well. Impressive!

Rachel has an abundance of vegetarian dishes on her blog, and many interesting ethnic foods I had never heard of, such as Kalaalit Kaagiat  (Greenlandic cake), Pastiera Napoletana (Italian Easter Pie), and Baslama (Turkish grilled flatbread).

But when I saw these scrumptious-sounding biscuits (or scones, as they're called in England), I had to try them.  I'm sorry, Rachel - I had to call them biscuits because in my house, "scones" are sweet and served for breakfast.  I didn't want to confuse my children (or husband)!

I made them as an accompaniment to this soup and the dinner was a HUGE hit.  The kids couldn't stop talking about how much they loved the biscuits and how tasty they are, without even a smear of butter inside. (of course, I was thinking that a brush of garlic butter would be fabulous, but it's really not necessary).
The leftovers reheated in the oven beautifully the next day and were nearly as good as fresh.

This is a keeper recipe for sure.  Thanks, Rachel!

Cheddar Chive Biscuits
Makes a large batch - about 10 3" biscuits and 12 to 14 1-1/2 " biscuits

2 3/4 cups all purpose flour 
5 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 stick (4 oz) salted butter
4 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
black pepper, to taste
3/4 ounce chopped chives (or other desired herb, such as rosemary, parsley, or sage)
2 large eggs
3/4 cup milk or buttermilk (I used milk - and I didn't need quite all of it)

Preheat oven to 400° F.
Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
Grate the cold butter into the flour and mix with fingers to make mixture with the texture of breadcrumbs.
Add most of the cheese to the bowl, reserving some for sprinkling on the tops.
Season with pepper and chives (or other herb).  Stir to combine.
Break the eggs into the middle of the bowl and add a little milk.  Start to pull the mixture together, adding extra milk as needed to make a soft (but not very sticky) dough.  Mix just until combined - trying not to knead it much.
Roll out the mixture to about 1 inch thick on a floured surface and cut with a biscuit cutter.  I made some large and some miniature.  Brush the tops of the biscuits with a little milk and sprinkle with cheese.
Bake for 10-15 minutes, until lightly browned.

adapted slightly from Rachel Cotterill 

8 comments:

  1. It's so funny how things have different names in different countries! Here you can have scones that are sweet or savoury, or totally plain. And biscuits are what you'd call cookies ;) I'm so glad the recipe was a hit with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound great! Love the flavors in them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love biscuits with things mixed in--especially cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love savoury scones (or biscuits) for an afternoon snack - it feels so much healthier than reaching for cake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to have had your blog as my assignment this month. I know I'll be trying these biscuits/scones out one of these days when fresh herbs are in abundant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These biscuits sound awesome. Can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sound great, now to go and see if my chives have recovered enough for me to cut more for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have chives in the garden. I need to make these soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...