Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Banana Bread


Who doesn't have a go-to recipe for banana bread?  I didn't.  
There are several I'd use from time to time, one from my good old standby Betty Crocker cookbook, one from a friend's mom, a couple of different variations from cooking websites or blogs.  
When I had a stack of quickly over-ripening bananas recently, I decided to give this recipe a try, with a few modifications to make it even healthier.  It turned out so tasty, I don't know if I'll ever resort to banana bread browsing again.  
Can I tell you again, if you've never bought or tried barley flour, give it a shot sometime.  It adds such a light and lovely texture to baked goods, without altering the taste if used in small amounts......I just love it!
  
Recipe (adapted from Tammy's Recipes)

3 cups white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup barley flour (can use whole wheat or all-purpose)
4 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 cup sucanat (can use white sugar)
2 cups mashed bananas (about 4 large)
2/3 c. coconut oil, melted (can use melted butter or substitute some applesauce in equal amounts)
4 T. milk
4 eggs
1/2 c. chopped nuts, optional
Cinnamon/sugar, optional

Preheat oven to 350°.
Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl with a whisk, making a well in the center.
In another bowl, mash together the bananas, oil, milk, and eggs.
Add banana mixture to dry ingredients and stir briskly until well combined.  Stir in nuts, if using.
Pour batter into greased and floured loaf pans. 
Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar if desired.
Bake for 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.  If bread is browning too quickly, lay a piece of foil on top of the loaves while they're baking.
Cool on a wire rack.  Remove from pans after 10 or 15 minutes.  When cool, slice with a thin knife.  Bread can be frozen.

2 comments:

  1. I've got some over-ripe bananas right now. I will have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it turns out well for you, Kaylana!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...