Friday, October 8, 2010

Caramel Glazed Apple Bread


If loving caramel is wrong, I don't want to be right.  


Seriously....this topping is so yummy, I just wanted to eat the pan of it straight.  


I managed to restrain myself and pour most of it on the bread.  The bread itself is delicious.....not too sweet, nice and moist, nice apple flavor.  I might add a little vanilla next time, but it was really good.  But the glaze takes it over the top.  I wish I had pecans mixed in the bread, but since my family would all revolt, I settled with sprinkling some on top of part of one loaf.  Still good, but I would love more nuts!  


Recipe: (adapted from Pass the Sushi)


1-1/2 c. grated, peeled apples (I used 3 small Gala)
1 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. oil (canola)
1/4 c. applesauce
4 eggs, lightly beaten
3 c. white whole wheat flour
2 t. baking soda
2 t. ground cinnamon
1 t. salt
1 t. ground nutmeg
1/2 c. chopped pecans (optional)


Topping:
2 T. butter
1/4 c. packed brown sugar
1 T. milk
1/2 c. powdered sugar


Preheat oven to 350°.  Grease bottoms only of 2 (8 x 4-inch) loaf pans with cooking spray or butter.
In a large bowl, stir together apples, 1 c. brown sugar, buttermilk, oil, applesauce, and eggs.  Stir in remaining bread ingredients just until moistened.  Pour into pans.
Bake 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and cool on wire racks.


Meanwhile, prepare topping.
In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.  Stir in 1/4 c. brown sugar.  Heat until boiling, stirring constantly.  Reduce heat to low.  Boil and stir for 2 minutes.  Stir in milk.  Heat to boiling; remove from  heat.  Cool for 10-15 minutes. 
Gradually stir powdered sugar into glaze mixture.  Stir in additional milk, 1/2 t. at a time, if mixture is too thick.  Beat until smooth and thin enough to drizzle.  
Drizzle glaze over loaves. 
Wrap tightly and store at room temp. up to four days or refrigerate up to ten days. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...