Monday, October 4, 2010

Barbecue Chicken Casserole



I was browsing through my Taste of Home Winning Recipes cookbook recently and this recipe caught my eye.  Grant and I love barbecue chicken, and the kids love corn, so I thought it would be a fun one to try.  
The original called for a whole chicken, cut up into pieces....I don't prefer to deal with helping kids remove chicken from bones at the table (can you say "messy"?) so I decided to use diced boneless skinless chicken breasts instead.  I thought it turned out really well.  
Every one liked it.....although Grant said he'd prefer it without the corn next time  It has sort of an Asian taste to it, a sweet and sour chicken if you will.  It would probably be delicious served over rice.  We'll try that next time.  

Recipe:

1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced
1/3 c. all-purpose flour
2 T. olive oil or vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2-3 stalks celery, chopped thinly
1 c. ketchup
1/2 c. water
3 T. brown sugar
3 T. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1 package (16 oz) frozen corn, thawed (optional)
Additional salt, if desired

Place flour in a large resealable bag.  Add chicken and shake to coat.  In a large skillet, brown the chicken until no more pink remains.  Transfer to an ungreased 13 x 9" baking dish.
Drain skillet, reserving 2 T. drippings.  (I had no leftover drippings, so I added a T. of butter)
Saute the onion, pepper, and celery until tender.  In a bowl, combine the ketchup, water, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper.  Add to vegetables.  Bring to a boil.  Pour over the chicken.  
Sprinkle corn on top, if desired, and add a little extra salt for the corn if desired.
Bake uncovered at 350° for 20 minutes, or until heated through and bubbly.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...