Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Spicy Turkey Burgers


These turkey burgers have become one of Grant's favorite foods very quickly.  He requests them every week, as a matter of fact. 

Can't really complain, I like them too, and the kids all eat them with great enthusiasm.  Especially Corban.

I do leave out the crushed red pepper in the kids' burgers, after they complained of the heat the first time. 

I'm sure they're great on the grill, but I'm not particularly good at grilling and have no pressing desire to learn at this point in my life - and most week-nights, I don't want to bother Grant with firing it up when he gets home exhausted from work - so these just get cooked in a skillet on my stovetop.  

Grant and Corban prefer them with pepperjack cheese - the girls and I opt for cheddar.  Whatever floats your boat!

Recipe: (from Tammy's Recipes)

1 lb. ground turkey (I usually use 1-1/4 lbs or more and increase the seasonings accordingly)
2 T. water (I use 1/8 c. for 1-1/2 lbs meat)
1/2 t. salt
1 t. pepper
2 T. dried minced onions
1/2 t. dried minced garlic (or 1 fresh garlic clove, minced)
1 t. crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 t. paprika

Combine all ingredients well and allow to sit for a few minutes or refrigerate overnight.
Preheat skillet on medium-high heat.
Form meat into patties of desired size (I make smaller ones for the kids, a medium one for me and a large one for Grant).
Place in hot skillet and cook on each side for 3-6 minutes (depending on thickness), just until done. 
Alternatively, grill according to grill instructions if desired. 

*The water makes the patties slightly tricky to form, but the burgers are moist and tender every time.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...