Monday, August 9, 2010

Mexican Casserole


My mom used to make this when I was growing up - when I was preparing to move out and copying down some of my favorite recipes of hers, this was on the list. It's easy, tasty, always a crowd pleaser. Not authentically Mexican, to be sure, but since that's what we always called it, I can't change the name now or I'd never know what I was talking about.

Recipe:

1-1/2 lb. ground turkey or beef
1 onion, chopped
garlic salt, to taste
1 can cream of chicken soup (or homemade)
1 can cream of mushroom soup (or homemade)
4 oz can chopped green chilies
4 oz taco sauce or salsa
8-10 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
large bag tortilla chips

Brown meat with onion and garlic salt until done; drain if needed.
In a separate bowl, mix together soups, chilies, and taco sauce.
Preheat oven to 350°.
In a 13 x 9" pan, put down a layer of tortilla chips, half of the meat, half of the sauce, and half of the cheese. Repeat layers. Top with tortilla chips and bake for 30 minutes, or until bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...