Thursday, October 22, 2009

Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Bread

I got this one from SnoWhite's delicious food blog....and my family adored it. I had never made a sweet potato bread before, but since we love pumpkin bread.....and pumpkin has gotten more expensive lately.....I thought this would be great to try. I'm so glad I did! When Grant walked in the house while it was baking, he said, "It smells like Christmas in here!" That's a wonderful thing!


If you've never made sweet potato puree, check out SnoWhite's instructions....it's very easy.

I did end up modifying a couple of things, because I doubled the recipe and ran out of applesauce and brown sugar. You can use applesauce in place of the oil (equal amounts) if you want.

The bread is delicious as is....but I think next time I may increase the spices a little, just cause I'm a spicy kind of gal. :)

Recipe:

1-1/2 c. flour (I use at least half whole wheat)
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 c. sweet potato puree*
1/4 c. applesauce
1/4 c. oil
1 egg, beaten
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. all spice
1/2 C dark chocolate chips
cinnamon-sugar (optional)

*Add a little water to mashed sweet potato until you reach the consistency of pumpkin puree.

Preheat oven to 350°.

Mix together flour, salt, brown sugar, and baking soda.
Combine sweet potato (or pumpkin), applesauce, oil, egg, and spices together.
Combine wet and dry ingredients, adding up to 1/4 C water if needed to make the dough moist. (I did add water to mine).
Stir in chocolate chips.
Pour into a greased loaf pan.
Sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar if desired....which we nearly always desire!
Bake for 50-60 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean and the bread is lightly browned. Let cool in the pan for about 5 minutes. Then, remove from the pan and cool on a cooling rack.

Let cool completely before slicing. Ideally. Doesn't usually happen around here, we get too impatient!


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...