Monday, August 10, 2009

Spicy Turkey Sausage Gravy

I had been wanting to try this recipe from Tammy's Recipes for a long time and finally decided to just go for it. I was hesitant because I had no idea how my family would respond to it....I rarely make gravy sort of things. Fortunately, it was a big hit......Grant, Corban and I loved it and the girls ate it without too much trouble. Obviously, I served it over mashed potatoes, although I'm sure it would be good over pasta or rice also. Me.....I'll probably stick with the potatoes. Just a family preference. Give this one a try.....despite its non-impressive appearance, it's delicious.

Recipe:

1 lb ground turkey (or beef) - I actually used a 1.3 lb package and upped everything a bit
1 onion, chopped
1 small clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground sage
1 teaspoon thyme
1-1/2 teaspoons course-ground black pepper
pinch cayenne pepper, optional
1-1/2 tablespoons butter
3 T. flour
1-1/2 cups milk
Mashed potatoes, cooked rice, pasta, or biscuits - for serving

Brown the ground turkey with onion, garlic, and all spices. Drain and return to pan. Add butter and stir around until melted; then add the flour and mix until well combined.

Whisk in milk and continue whisking or stirring until mixture boils and thickens (about a minute or two after it boils). Serve as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...