Sunday, August 16, 2009

Slow-Cooker Ham



This is such a great stand-by favorite....and couldn't be easier. The hardest part is getting the ham into the crockpot, actually. So be aware of your crockpot size and the size of your ham or you could have problems! I have done this several times and have even cut the ham into pieces to get it in there and it turns out just fine. Resist the urge to add extra liquid....I promise you won't need it. The pineapple is nice, but the ham is great without it.

Recipe:

1-2 cups brown sugar, packed
7-9 lb. ham (spiral cut, cured, bone-in) - if a seasoning/glaze packet is included, toss it.
1 can pineapple rings (optional)

Spread about a cup of brown sugar in the bottom of your slow cooker. Place ham on it, however you can get it in there. Spread remaining brown sugar all over ham. If using pineapple, place the rings around the ham.
Cook on high for 3-4 hours, or on low for 8 hours. I've never tried the longer version...but I know that with my slow cooker, I use the High 6 Hour setting but really only leave it in there for 3-4 hours. You don't want it dried out or tough.

I made this for our small group and it was very popular. The leftovers were great on sandwiches, and I saved the meaty hock for making ham and beans. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...