Monday, November 3, 2008

Cookie Bars


I got this delightful recipe from my mom just the other day, which was long overdue because this was a family favorite of ours growing up. I don't know why I had delayed so long in getting it, because these are a real treat and so easy! I made them a bit healthier by using 100% white whole wheat flour, which is just as healthy but nicer for baking than regular red whole wheat.

We all enjoyed them, particularly Grant. I have a feeling these will become a pretty regular dessert around here.

Recipe:
1 lb brown sugar (2 cups firmly packed)
2/3 cup canola oil or expeller-pressed coconut oil
3 eggs
1 t. vanilla
2 3/4 cups flour (all purpose or white whole wheat, or combination)
1/2 t. salt
2 1/2 t. baking powder
6-8 oz chocolate chips
1 cup nuts, optional
  • Preheat oven to 350. Mix sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla, combining well.
  • Sift dry ingredients, then add to wet, mixing until combined.
  • Stir in chips and nuts.
  • Spread in a greased 13 x 9 inch pan; bake for 22-28 minutes, or until toothpick tests clean.
See how easy that is? Be sure to not overbake them.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you all liked them. I haven't tried white whole wheat flour. How do they make that? After talking with you, I made some lemon bars. We don't have them often. They were a big hit --- especially with Dad and Joseph! Anna is surprised at how fast they have gone when she has only had one small piece!
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. The white whole wheat flour is simply from hard white wheat, as opposed to hard red wheat. I've read several bloggers who buy the wheat to grind themselves. Everything I've seen about it indicates the health info is the same. Try some...we really like it!
    Lemon bars are wonderful...Grant isn't much of a fan of them, of course, being not chocolate and all. I've never actually made them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...