Monday, February 1, 2016

Mexican Rice


Everyone needs a good, classic rice recipe to serve with any number of Mexican themed meals. This version has become a favorite with my family. While I am far from the master rice cooker, I love that this turns out well for me consistently.

It's flavorful without being overwhelming and makes a fantastic accompaniment to dishes like Spicy Pulled Pork, tacos, burritos, quesadillas, or pretty much any other similar meals. 

One of the things that makes it popular with my kids is that there aren't any extra chunks, like pieces of onions or tomato to pick out. Other versions that I've made that included salsa weren't received nearly as well as this one. Here we have the flavors of tomato and onion, but only the rice to eat. Win/win. 

Use it as a side dish. 

Stuff it with beans and meat into a tortilla. 

Make it the base for a burrito bowl. 

You can't go wrong. You could even toss a little fresh cilantro on top if that floats your boat. I bet that would be scrumptious. 


Mexican Rice

6 Tablespoons oil (I use expeller-pressed coconut oil)
2 cups uncooked rice (I use Jasmine or Basmati)
2 teaspoons garlic salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
3-1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth

Using a fine mesh sieve, rinse rice with cold water until the water runs clear. Set aside. 
In a large skillet with a lid, heat oil until hot. 
Pour in rice and stir around until slightly toasted and beginning to turn golden brown. Add garlic salt, cumin, onion powder, tomato sauce, and broth. 
Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover with lid, and cook for 15 minutes, or until all the liquid has absorbed. 

Source: adapted slightly from allrecipes


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this recipe! I enjoy reading your blog, the pictures are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra! That's so sweet of you! :)

      Delete
    2. I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award.http://talesfromourhouse.blogspot.com/2016/02/the-versatile-blogger-award.html

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...