Friday, August 31, 2012

Confetti Rice and Bean Salad



I never fail to get a slight sense of panic when I'm in need of a side dish for company or a pot-luck.
A side dish that isn't dessert. (I always have endless ideas for dessert. Bet you'd never guess that about me.)
A side dish that isn't just steamed or sauteed vegetables.

This "salad" is a great option that will nicely accompany different meats or kinds of meals.  It's super easy to throw together and doesn't have any fancy ingredients that I don't normally have on hand.
Okay, I did actually purchase red wine vinegar for this recipe - don't use that one much - but it was cheap and I don't mind having it around.
And I never have cilantro on hand because my dear husband is convinced it's of the devil.
Pshhhh.

Anyhow, I thought it was really good served chilled, but the rest of my family actually preferred it warm.  Bonus - if you top it with a little cheese, you have a great dip for tortilla chips.

I love dishes that are versatile and can be served warm or cool.  Options are always nice.

Confetti Rice and Bean Salad (adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe)

Note: I used brown rice - but you could use wild rice or white rice with equally good results.  Just cook according to the package directions.  

Salad:
3 cups cooked rice, cooled to room temperature (see note)
1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1-1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed (or the same amount fresh corn kernels)
4 green onions, white and green parts thinly sliced
1 red pepper, seeded, cored, and diced
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro (I omitted)

Dressing:
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 T. sugar
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. black pepper

In a large bowl, combine all of the salad ingredients and toss.  In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients and pour over the salad.  Toss to coat.  Chill the salad for at least 2  hours before serving to let the flavors blend.

Linked to Finding Joy in my Kitchen

2 comments:

  1. You never cease to amaze me =) I have a tough time finding new 'meal' ideas- and you come up with a great 'side.' Looking forward to trying it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious -- and would be great for a school lunch too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...