Monday, May 16, 2011

Homemade Wheat Bread


After making our Strawberry Freezer Jam last week, I knew I had to try it first on homemade bread.  I hadn't made bread in quite awhile but knew that this was one of our favorite recipes.  Annika and I baked it in the morning, taking it out of the oven just in time for lunch.

Now, I don't claim to be an expert bread maker, especially since I don't bake it for our everyday life (although one day when I get the wheat grinder I'm dreaming of, hopefully that will become a reality) and it's just an occasional treat.  But this recipe has never failed me and it is just wonderful.  The kids would have polished off the whole loaf if I hadn't insisted we save some for Grant.

Corban even asked me, "Mom, is it really expensive to make bread?"
I replied, "No, it's actually cheaper than the store-bought bread we get."
He queried, "Then why don't you make this bread every day?"

Well, I wish I had the time to do that, or the planning ahead ability to make several loaves and freeze them until we need them (not sure how they taste after that, I'm guessing still good), but for now it's just not happening.

This is just a great all-purpose bread, wonderful to serve with dinner with butter or for breakfast with jam.  Or fresh from the oven just plain.  Just sayin'.

Update:  I have made this with 100% whole wheat that I ground fresh with my Nutrimill - and it was amazing!  I added the dough conditioners that Tammy recommended on her site to make the bread softer, and I really couldn't believe how it turned out.  Soft, no crumbles, perfect for sandwiches.  The difference was remarkable.  If you want a good sandwich bread, add the following to the recipe:


  • 3 T. vital wheat gluten (replace 3 T. of the flour called for in the recipe with this)
  • 1/2 t. soy lecithin (granules - add to the water at the beginning)
  • pinch of citric acid (use sparingly!)
  • sprinkling of ginger

I think I prefer the normal recipe for just eating plain, like as a dinner bread, but with the conditioners added, you can't beat it for sandwiches.

Recipe (from Tammy's Recipes
Yield: 1 loaf

1 cup warm water (110-115 degrees F)
1 tablespoon milk
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons instant active dry yeast 
Instructions: 
1. Combine first 6 ingredients in a large mixing bowl; stir.
2. Add flours and yeast, and knead until dough is smooth and elastic, about 10-15 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover with a clean towel and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
3. Punch dough down; knead for a few minutes until smooth and then form into a loaf. Place in greased loaf pan and cover.  Let rise in a warm place until almost doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. If loaf starts browning too soon, lightly lay a piece of foil over the top. 
5. Remove bread from oven and allow to rest in pan for a few minutes. Remove to a wire rack and cover with a cloth. Slice and enjoy while still warm!  Leftover bread can be stored in an airtight bag or frozen until needed.

3 comments:

  1. We love this bread too -- so moist and yummy :)

    From the mouths of babes... right?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I tried your recipe for sandwich bread with half whole wheat flour and the conditioners above and it is fantastic! Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it!! Thanks for letting me know!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...