Friday, November 13, 2009

This and That

Just a few personal updates on the family...for those who are interested (Hi, Grandparents!).

Corban and Marissa have finished a session of swim lessons, with Corban passing Level 2 and Marissa passing Level 1 (Red Cross standards). They both loved it tremendously and can't wait to get signed up for more classes. Maybe in the spring.....I just don't see myself packing up a newborn and 2-year old twice a week to take older siblings to swim lessons in the dead of winter. Not gonna happen.

Annika is taking a parent/child gymnastics class and has an absolute blast - it's special time with Daddy and she gets to jump and climb and swing to her little heart's content. Marissa is a bit jealous and keeps asking when she gets to take gymnastics again too....but back to that whole scheduling thing....I just don't know how I can swing it for awhile.

Pregnancy - Thank God it's almost over! I'm doing fine, check-ups have been perfect, I'm just tired of being pregnant. I don't sleep well due to aching hips and pelvic pain, so I'm in a fairly constant state of tiredness. Yeah.....I know.....that's not gonna change for the next year.
I am so thankful for a healthy pregnancy and baby, though, so I really shouldn't complain.

All of the hospitals in our area have adopted a policy prohibiting all visitors under age 18 to prevent the spread of H1N1 and the flu. I was bummed to hear about that, since that means the kids won't get to come visit me and the baby while we're in the hospital.

The good news is, for the first time I tested negative for Group B Strep (a common bacteria in the birth canal found in at least 30% of women at any given time that is harmless to the mother but has the slim chance of causing sickness in the baby). There are several reasons I'm thrilled about that:

1. I don't have to have antibiotics (or an IV, for that matter) during labor this time!!
2. I don't have to rush to the hospital as fast because I don't have to get the antibiotics 4 hours before delivering - do you know how hard it is to know you have at least 4 hours left in labor??
3. When the mother has GBS, even if she gets antibiotics at the proper time before delivery, the pediatricians won't let the baby leave the hospital until 48 hours after delivery just for monitoring purposes. Now I don't have to worry about that and can plan on the standard 24 hour discharge that is typical for my Birthing Center. This is especially nice since the kids can't come visit us.

My mom is due to arrive in five days.....can't wait to see her! And dad is coming a few days after that. The kids are so excited - Annika keeps saying, "Nonny coming soon. Granddaddy coming soon too. Granddaddy give me piggyback rides!!" (Hope your back is nice and strong, Dad!)

Corban (6) and Marissa (4) just had their well check-ups:

Corban is 51-1/4" tall (the height of an average 8.5 year old) and 54.5 lbs
Marissa is 41-1/4" tall (75 percentile) and 36 lbs.

Both have perfect blood counts, vision and hearing. Marissa was especially excited to pee in a cup for the first time. Big thrill there.

It is such a blessing to have healthy children. Even ones who make little nests in the closet in the bonus room for their nap instead of lying on the couch like you'd think they would.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...