Friday, November 20, 2009

Sweet Potato (or Pumpkin) Scones



I saw this recipe on Tammy's Recipes (made with pumpkin) and knew I had to try them. I adore scones, and pumpkin is wonderful in baked goods, so I figured it would be a winner. Oh yes. Well, actually, I did change the recipe a bit to make it a bit healthier, and I had some frozen sweet potato puree begging to be used instead of opening a can of pumpkin, so I made that substitution too. The smell coming out of my kitchen.....just divine. And the flavor was perfect....just the right amount of spice. My version is double what hers is written as, so it yields 16 scones. I knew 8 just wouldn't be enough for my hungry brood! And the leftovers were just tasty the next morning.


Recipe:

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/4 cup wheat germ
1 T. baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 t. ground cinnamon
1 t. ground nutmeg
1/4 t. ground ginger
1/4 t. ground cloves
12 tablespoons butter, sliced and chilled (1-1/2 sticks)
1 cup sweet potato or pumpkin puree
2/3 cup whole milk (a little more may be needed)
1 cup brown sugar, packed
4 teaspoons vanilla extract

Cinnamon Icing Ingredients:
2 cups powdered sugar
2 t. ground cinnamon
3-4 tablespoons milk

1. Preheat oven to 425°.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the first 10 ingredients (dry). Cut in butter until coarse crumbs form.
3. In a smaller mixing bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, milk, sugar, and vanilla.
4. Add to dry mixture and stir just until mixture forms a thick dough. Use your (clean) hands to knead the dough once or twice, pressing it together. (For more tender scones, don't over-knead.)
5. On a lightly floured surface, form dough into a 2 circles, about 3/4 inch thick. Use a knife or pizza cutter to cut each circle into 8 wedges/triangles. Place wedges on an ungreased baking sheet, not touching.
6. Bake for 15 minutes, or until scones are lightly browned on the bottom.
7. Make icing by whisking together the icing ingredients, adding just enough milk to make a drizzling consistency. Icing can be drizzled over warm or hot scones, or brushed on.

4 comments:

  1. delicious! my name is written all over them with the sweet potato :)

    hope you're doing well... I see your due date is quickly approaching -- saying prayers for a healthy and safe delivery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, SnoWhite! I'm doing fine, just so ready to have this baby. Hopefully any day now! Thanks for your prayers! I'm actually planning on live-blogging the labor/delivery....we'll see how that goes, but that's my idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried this recipe this morning and it was a hit! Thank you! I posted a picture on my blog and also a link to the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks wonderful...thanks for posting!

    Blessings,
    Joyce Marie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...