Saturday, February 5, 2011

"T" is for Ooey Gooey Taffy Tart Squares


These have to be one of the messiest bars I have ever made.  And one of the most delicious.  Even without chocolate, they're pretty irresistible.

We didn't actually get to deliver them to our Alphabet Service Project recipients this week.  Right after Annika and I had made them, I gave our friends a call to set up the time to bring them and was informed they had just been called out of town for a relative's medical situation.  They're not back yet, so I just froze the bars to give to them later.

On to the Taffy Tart Bars.  They truly are Ooey and Gooey, no doubt about it.  A simple shortbread crust, topped with an incredibly rich combination including brown sugar, eggs, butter, and pecans, the flavor reminded me of some wonderful pecan bread my mom got a secret recipe for many years ago, but in a drippier bar form.
As I note in the actual recipe, even though you shouldn't over-bake these.....they're not supposed to be really firm......I think I under-baked them a little too much.  It didn't affect the taste, I'm sure, but I would prefer them a little less messy.

Recipe:  (from Sweetapolita)

Base: 
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1 cup unsalted butter

Topping:
6 T. melted butter
6 eggs, lightly beaten
3 c. packed brown sugar
6 T. all-purpose flour
1-1/2 t. baking powder
2 t. vanilla extract
Pinch salt
1-1/2 c. coarsely chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350°.
Butter a 13 x 9" pan and line with parchment paper or foil.  Make sure there is an overhang of paper to allow for removing from pan after baked.

In a medium bowl, combine flour and granulated sugar, cutting in butter with pastry blender until crumbly.  Press into pan and bake for 15 minutes or until very light golden brown on edges.

In a bowl, mix melted butter and eggs.  Blend in brown sugar, flour, baking powder, vanilla, and salt.  Stir in pecans and pour over base.

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched.  It should not feel "firm", if you overbake, they won't be "ooey gooey". (Note:  I cooked mine to this stage, and they never firmed up at all, even in the fridge.....they were a bit too messy, although incredibly delicious.  Next time I'll bake a few minutes longer)

Let cool on rack, then cover and refrigerate until very firm.  Using the paper overhang, remove from baking pan and place on cutting board.  Cut into squares.  Keep refrigerated until you need them.  They can also be frozen.

2 comments:

  1. Your squares look really good!
    I too am a home schooling mom of 4 kids! And try to eat and cook naturally from scratch! I'll have to try some of your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sweetland Farm! Thanks for stopping by! I checked out your blog....I'm so jealous of your farm! How wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...