Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Lentil Chili


We tried out this chili a few weeks ago and it was such a hit that I made it again less than two weeks later. That's pretty good around here!  I love that it uses lentils, because they're so high in iron and are so nutritious.  I did add a can of black beans (rinsed and drained) the second time because Grant wanted the texture of bigger beans too, but it's really good without them.  It makes a pretty big batch, enough to feed our family for two dinners plus a little leftover.  Can't complain about that!  We like it served with shredded cheddar cheese and tortilla chips.  

Recipe:  from Raising Olives

1-1.5 lbs. ground turkey or beef (I use turkey)
1 onion, chopped
1 lb. dry lentils
10 c. water
1 t. cumin
1 t. chili powder
2 t. salt
2 c. salsa (I use medium)
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes

Brown ground turkey with the onion; drain if necessary.  Add lentils and water.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes.  

Variations:  Omit the meat and double the amount of lentils for a vegetarian dish.  Serve over rice.  Top with cheese and/or sour cream. 

2 comments:

  1. I love chili but have never tried it with lentils. This looks great! I loom forward to trying it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rivki! I hope the chili works out for you....I was actually surprised at how much my family loved it, but hey, I'm not complaining!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...