Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Monster Truck Cake



I realized a couple of days ago that I had neglected to post about how I made Corban's Monster Truck Cake for his 5th birthday.  So here it is.  This has to be the easiest and lowest stress cake I've done, and it was so much fun!  It was a huge hit with his little friends. 

What you need:
  • 2 13 x 9" cakes, baked
  • Buttercream frosting (I used my usual recipe of 1 c. shortening, 1 c. butter  - beat together for 10 minutes, then gradually add 8 cups of powdered sugar, 1 T. vanilla extract, and 1/4-1/2 c. cream, to desired consistency).
  • 2 Brown Sugar Poptarts
  • Graham cracker or vanilla wafer crumbs 
  • Various Monster Trucks and small cars
  • Little flags, if desired
  • Wilton Grass Tip
First, I stacked two 13 x 9" cakes (one chocolate, one yellow, in case you're wondering), with frosting in the middle. 
I carved out a little section the width of a poptart on one side for the ramp and put the removed cake on top for the top ramp. 
Then I covered the whole thing with a nice layer of buttercream frosting, getting the sides as smooth as I could. 
I covered the top with crushed graham crackers, made a border around the top and bottom edge using the grass tip, and put the poptarts in place.  That grass tip is a blast to use....totally worth having around. 
Stick in a couple of flags, carefully place the trucks and cars as you wish, and you're good to go! 



The blue truck on top was the Predator, a surprise gift for Corban.  He was especially delighted about it because we had gotten to see the real one earlier that year in a parking lot getting some maintenance done before a rally and stopped to take some pictures.  

1 comment:

  1. Your cake looks so good, and not to mention very creative! One of my many sister in laws is very good at making cakes like that!
    Thanks for stopping by SweetLand! It's a farm work in progress, but a good one, and we truly feel blessed with what we have!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...