Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Chewy Granola Bars


Quaker Granola Bars - Move Over. You got nothin' on these babies.

I've been wanting to make my own granola bars for quite awhile. I've seen several recipes and tried one (too crumbly), but this one caught my eye in particular because of the coconut oil. I found it on
this blog. I modified it a little and couldn't be happier with the results! These are chewy, hold together very well, extremely tasty, and filling to boot. Everyone in the family loves them. I'm sure they're higher in calories than the Quaker ones I have normally bought, but all the ingredients are natural and healthy and I feel so much better about feeding them to my family. I'm looking forward to trying them with some other add-ins, like the chocolate chips and nuts, maybe even some peanut butter. These will become a staple at our house. No doubt.

Recipe:

2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup ground flax seed
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup honey
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup coconut oil (melted)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup raisins (optional)
1/2 cup dried cranberries (optional)
1/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut (optional)

Preheat oven to 325°. Grease a 9×13 baking dish. Mix together first 7 ingredients, then make a well in the center and add the honey, beaten egg, oil, and vanilla extract. Mix well. Add in the raisins, cranberries, coconut, and/or any other mix-ins you desire. Pat the mixture evenly into the baking dish.

Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the edges are beginning to turn golden. Cool for 5 minutes and then cut into bars and remove from dish WHILE STILL WARM.

Some substitutions: Olive or peanut oil rather than coconut oil. Regular flour. Add any dried fruit, coconut shavings, sunflower seeds, nuts or even chocolate chips..


4 comments:

  1. Hi! I followed from the o.p. of this recipe and am a little confused as I specifically asked the op if they were chewy and she said no, they were crunchy! I am wondering why yours are so different with the same recipe. As far as I could tell, you kept the basic proportions and directions the same, and changed the add-ins. I was looking for a chewy recipe so I didn't try that one. I'm willing to try it though if there are hopes for softness! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Natalia! Thanks for stopping by! I saw that she said hers were crunchy, which almost made me not want to try them, because I wanted chewy ones also. The main things I did differently was adding the ground flax seed, which could have definitely contributed to the softer texture, and I baked it at a lower temp for the same amount of time. I really had no idea what to expect, so when they turned out chewy and not crumbly or crunchy at all, I was so happy! I wish you the best of luck in making some you're happy with as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I'm going to try it your way. I have some flax I'll have to grind and get a few other ingredients but I'm really looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me know if they turn out for you! I really hope they do...I hate it when I expect one thing and get something completely different. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...