Monday, May 26, 2008

Chocolate Truffle Cheesecake

Now, I know it may seem that all we eat around here is sinful desserts...but that's just not the case. Desserts just turn out the most impressive and interesting. I mean, who wants to see a picture of baked breaded fish and tater tots? Besides, I usually have more time to snap pictures of desserts because we're not nearly as rushed to eat them before they get cold.
But I do fully intend to start posting some of the more captivating entrees we eat in the near future. For now, here's one of the top favorite desserts of Grant's and mine.


I made this a few days ago since we were having guests for a couple of days. How could they resist this decadence? Plus, it lasts well in the fridge and would be the only dessert I'd need to make.

Recipe
Crust:
1 pkg chocolate graham crackers
1/4 cup butter
2 T. sugar

Mix together and pat into the bottom of a 9" springform pan. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes and set on a wire rack to cool. Reduce heat to 325.

Filling:
1/4 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup evaporated milk
3 8 oz pkgs cream cheese (1/3 less fat is what I use), softened
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup baking cocoa
3 eggs
1 teasp. vanilla extract
Topping:
1-1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
3 oz evaporated milk (the remainder of the 5 oz can you opened earlier)
2 T milk
1 t. vanilla extract

In the microwave (or on the stove if you like to take a long time),melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Add evaporated milk and stir well. Set aside. In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add cocoa and beat well. Add eggs ; beat on low just until combined. Sitr in vanilla and reserved chocolate mixture just until blended. Pour over crust. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until center is almost set. For topping, melt chocolate chips and stir until smooth. Stir in milks and vanilla; mix well. Spread over cooled cheesecake. Refrigerate overnight. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen. Remove sides of pan. Just before serving, garnish with chocolate syrup, cool whip or whipped cream, or even melted raspberry preserves if desired.



Tell me that doesn't look positively delectable. Our guests were very pleased, as were we. This time it turned out the best ever. The topping made as the recipe originally directed was too hard and wouldn't cut well with a fork, making it difficult to eat. I added more milk this time and it was perfection....set up beautifully but soft and tender to the touch. Melted in our mouths.

2 comments:

  1. I have to say that Candler and I WILL try this! BTW did you add the extra milk(for the crust) in your recipe measurements already or should I add extra? Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leslie,
    I already included the extra milk in the measurements...the original called for only 1/4 cup (2 oz) and I put in probably close to 4 oz. It makes such a huge difference! Not in taste, so much, but in texture and cut-ability.
    I hope you and Candler enjoy it...
    and it freezes great, too...just wrap up pieces in foil and you're good to go, they'll last a few months! Let me know when you try it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...